Steering Column Noise (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

I know this is kinda petty problem compared to others but I was wondering what a noise coming from my steering column could be. I happens if I rapidly turn the wheel from side to side. It's a clicking type noise.

I did have a look under the dash at the steering linkage and noticed that the ujoint just above the rag link (I think that's what it is) has some slack in it. I think this is where the noise is coming from but it's hard to isolate the noise due to the acoustics under the dash. I was going to rip the column apart but decided to wait till I get my replacement steering wheel. To be sure that the noise is coming from the ujoint, is there a way to lube this it to get rid of the slack? I can't find and way to grease it. Also what kind of grease should I use? I assume something heavy.

The little clicking while steering is driving me crazy. I need to get my radio fixed soon.

I bet it's the clock spring for the air bags. Don't mess with it or you could get hurt. Take it to the dealer for repair if you really can't stand the sound.

Derek,

>> but decided to wait till I get my replacement steering wheel. <<

There's gotta be a story to go along with that statement.

-B-

[quote author=Beowulf link=board=2;threadid=10026;start=msg89473#msg89473 date=1073972268]

Derek,

>> but decided to wait till I get my replacement steering wheel. <<

There's gotta be a story to go along with that statement.

-B-

[/quote]

There really isn't a good story. I bought a cruiser. I'm very anal. I decided I would rather have the non leather steering wheel over the old hardened leather steering wheel that has been fondled by unknown dirty hands. I also decided that the non-leather wheel will hold up better and provide better traction. Yeah I know it's sad (and expensive). 8)

I really wish I had a better story, like my cat chewed my steering wheel to pieces... (actually if you meet my cat you might believe me).

Derek,

Why not find one in better shape at a parts recycler, clean it nicely, wipe it once with rubbing alcohol and call it clean? Heh. I also suspect the clock spring - especially if you're noticing the noise more when the truck's cold and then later in the day less/no noise. It will almost certainly NOT be the CV joint in the steering column - that things so overbuilt and it's also protected from dirt, etc. No way.

When you replace the wheel, it will be taken care of. Do you have to buy it with an airbag module? That would be pricey.

DougM

The airbag is fine, except for a small section in one of the corners where the paint/vinyl is worn and there is only black so I won't be replacing that. I think the clock spring is yet another part of the steering column. I'm not sure if replacing the steering wheel will affect it.

So I've read what the Chiltons and Haynes say about removing the air bag module and they say to wait 90 seconds or 2 minutes respectively after disconnecting the negative battery terminal. Does anyone know if the FSM complements or contradicts these guidelines?

>> I really wish I had a better story, <<

Well, Monk.... err I mean Derek, that was a pretty good story. You know those keys and the key fobs were handled by untold numbers of people, then there's the turn signal (who knows how many times that thing was touched) and the gear shift, and all those dash buttons. And the hood latch... gotta been a couple of dozen grease monkeys touching that thing... AND THE TYRES!!! Holy cow, those things have been everywhere and touched thousands of miles of dirt, bitumen, bubble gum, and dead skunk guts.

How can you possibly clean everything?

:D

In the future, you'll catch less flack if you go with the cat story.

-B-

I didn't mention the gearshift but that's going too, and I plan on replacing the dirty tires as well... :flipoff2:

Truthfully it's all part of my de-leatherfying project.

And the knob on the transfer case?

-B-

no matter how much he rubs it down he won't get that knob clean B :D

[quote author=DanKunz link=board=2;threadid=10026;start=msg89950#msg89950 date=1074041245]
no matter how much he rubs it down he won't get that knob clean B :D
[/quote]

So true :D

[quote author=ppc link=board=2;threadid=10026;start=msg89959#msg89959 date=1074042106]
And how many times has the seat been tooted in?
[/quote]

Phil,

I liked that :D :D :D

Mike

Will you guys PLEASE shut up before he decides he doesn't want the steering wheel :flipoff2:

I'll bill it to the guy that talks him out of it :rolleyes:

Dan,

I was trying to get him to buy the seat as well!!! :flipoff2:

Don't make me demand a commission. :cheers:

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=2;threadid=10026;start=msg90454#msg90454 date=1074115871]
Will you guys PLEASE shut up before he decides he doesn't want the steering wheel :flipoff2:

I'll bill it to the guy that talks him out of it :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Please buy it !! Go for the steering wheel !! You need it !! It is a must !!

Dan,

are you happy now ? Please don't bill it to me because I can only pay in Thai Baht :whoops:

Mike

You guys are too much :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

No worries Dan, I still want all my expensive stuff.

nakman, what do you want to know about my de-leathering?

Also wasn't this thread about a noise in the steering column or something like that?

[quote author=Darwood link=board=2;threadid=10026;start=msg90539#msg90539 date=1074122024]
You guys are too much :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

No worries Dan, I still want all my expensive stuff.

nakman, what do you want to know about my de-leathering?

Also wasn't this thread about a noise in the steering column or something like that?
[/quote]

Thread Hijacking is great :cheers:

But you can always try again :doh:

Mike

Hey, I was just thinking that since your seats are probably in decent shape, and if leather's not your thing, then if you took off the leather covers to replace with something else I may know a good home for those useless two-tone leather seat coverings.. blatant hijack, sorry, but you'll get used to it. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom