Steering column alignment with rag joint (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

JDNs78FJ40

SILVER Star
Threads
Hey guys, test fitting some of the parts. I have a mini truck PS conversion kit. Does this alignment look okay? It appears it doesn’t line up exactly and there is a slight angle where it meets the rag joint. Also the clam shell is turned to the left ever so slightly.

0CAFE8EB-3C07-4690-AE77-EA0DFEA0D81C.jpeg

C8952934-CCE4-4C52-BE17-5B4B2661253D.jpeg

image.jpg

I think the angle of your clamshell is correct. It matches both my 74 and 79, which are both un-modified.

If your body was removed for restoration it’s likely barely out of wack.
Yes, the body was removed. I did have braces in place the whole time and removed them when after the body was mounted. Do you think it's okay as is? I doubt I can make any body mount adjustments that would solve the problem...

IMO, that is as close as you're going to get. I have a minitruck PS conversion on my '78 and the shaft occasionally hits that formed sheet metal housing on rough roads and knocks. I may just clearance the housing a bit. Yours has much more clearance than mine.

Have you tried to loosen the steering box and tried rotating the firewall end toward the outside?

First, just a disclaimer, I am not very familiar with Power Steering conversions. But I have set up enough manual steering to know how they should be aligned and I'm definitely oncerned with your alignment. I would not be satisfied with that side force on your steering column. It takes a decent amount of side force to move the column over that much. That, and the constant flex that the coupling would be forced to endure as a result. The steering coupling is designed for a small amount of flex between the body and the frame, not a constant misalignment of the steering column and the steering box. The column would need a u-joint for that. I agree with @B y r o n that you should investigate the alignment of the steering box on that steering box mount. The aft end of the steering box is angled towards the centerline of the truck rather than parallel to the frame. Good luck. You want your steering to be 4.0.

First, just a disclaimer, I am not very familiar with Power Steering conversions. But I have set up enough manual steering to know how they should be aligned and I'm definitely oncerned with your alignment. I would not be satisfied with that side force on your steering column. It takes a decent amount of side force to move the column over that much. That, and the constant flex that the coupling would be forced to endure as a result. The steering coupling is designed for a small amount of flex between the body and the frame, not a constant misalignment of the steering column and the steering box. The column would need a u-joint for that. I agree with @B y r o n that you should investigate the alignment of the steering box on that steering box mount. The aft end of the steering box is angled towards the centerline of the truck rather than parallel to the frame. Good luck. You want your steering to be 4.0.
Thanks for your reply. I'm going to loosen the bolts that hold the steering box to the mount and see if a can move it toward the outside like @B y r o n suggested. Hopefully I can line it up a little better. Will report back. Thanks guys!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom