steering clunk (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have always had some clunking in the steering of my FJ62 but as the TRE’s are in good shape and I rebuilt the knuckles and replaced the wheel bearings I figured it was a combination of the 19 year of suspension and the slop in the steering shaft u-joints. Well last weekend I installed an OME heavy lift with an new OME steering stabilizer and was hoping to get ride of or reduce the clunking. It is actually worse. I am getting several very annoying clunks when I do tight left turns. Is it the new leaves? We greased the bushings really well and filled the zerks full of grease. Other ideas? I still have the stock donuts on, so no stress from bigger tires - yet ;)

It could be that your have some slop in the gears of the steering box. There's an adjustment on the top, you loosen the locknut around it and turn the adjuster in with a screwdriver. Give it a try.

I htink I need to try this too....

It's a bit of a trial-and-error adjustment, you'll know when you've turned it too far as your steering will get stiff and hard to turn. What you're basically doing there is setting the backlash in the between the pinion and worm gears.

check your ubolt tightness. they can get shifty if a little loose. Heck, you should retorque anyway after some driving to make sure all has settled in correctly.

I doubt you'd get "clunk" from wear inside the steering gearbox. You wil get some extra play but not clunk. Use care when adjusting the gearbox as it will be looser in the middle of stroke and tighter at the ends due to wear. If its too tight it will cause the bearings inside to fail.

If its a loud "clunk", I'd vote for leaf spring shifting. If its a mild little "clunk", I'd go for wear in the steering shaft slip joint. Pump the slip joint full of grease and see if it changes.

check the steering gear box mounting bolts also

check your ubolt tightness. they can get shifty if a little loose.
Might be - I will check this W/E.

If its a mild little "clunk", I'd go for wear in the steering shaft slip joint. Pump the slip joint full of grease and see if it changes.
This is what I think it is but I don't see any zerk to pump in gease.

check the steering gear box mounting bolts also
Will do.

It could be that your have some slop in the gears of the steering box. There's an adjustment on the top, you loosen the locknut around it and turn the adjuster in with a screwdriver. Give it a try.
Will do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom