Steering Box (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

retrofive

rɛtrəʊ
SILVER Star
Threads
Done messed something up.

Came home from wheeling and the steering is making a binding noise.

Car on and parked turn the wheel left or right it makes a nasty popping/binding noise at 15* either direction. After that it is fine. (I know I shouldn't turn the wheel while not in motion, but was trying to narrow down the issue).

Around town driving is fine if moving at a decent speed. Slow 90* it doesn't sound so good.

Everything else looks good underneath. It is not the birfs clicking. I can put my hand the sector shaft while someone is turn the wheel and feel and hear the noise from the steering box.

Are they serviceable? Tear it open and inspect?? General driving and whatnot feel good. No slop in the steering. Sector shaft doesn't look twisted.

Any ideas.

Your sure no other linkage is damaged, bent, or binding?

...btw just checked the picture of the "GasWhore"... makes me laugh! I like it!

Your sure no other linkage is damaged, bent, or binding?

...btw just checked the picture of the "GasWhore"... makes me laugh! I like it!

TMK, nothing leaking, bent, tierod ends look good, etc... and thanks! Pretty much the same but moved to 35's.

SO Beno..... whats this rebuild kit costs? I'll try and buzz you a little later.

might look into used too. car-part.com < $100 < the headache and possible complications of rebuild

might look into used too. car-part.com < $100 < the headache and possible complications of rebuild

Yip, poking around looking at that option as well. Thanks

Ideally, do the rebuild kit, send if off to West Texas Off Road, get the bigger sector shaft and pitman arm. Then, get a spare.

Even though you cannot "see" the splines on your sector shaft, they are more than likely twisted. Anyone who wheels their rig with any regularity probably has twisted splines, IMHO.

List: $186.13 MUD: $139.60

Ideally, do the rebuild kit, send if off to West Texas Off Road, get the bigger sector shaft and pitman arm. Then, get a spare.

Even though you cannot "see" the splines on your sector shaft, they are more than likely twisted. Anyone who wheels their rig with any regularity probably has twisted splines, IMHO.

Thanks Beno! That is not as bad as I thought.

PS box's, any differences over the years? (read 91-97)

spare box

if needed I have a spare in good condition, it had a leak and i bought ( fool) a reconditioned one for mucho dinaro, so let me know if you need one, no real idea what it is worth.

Cheers peter

if needed I have a spare in good condition, it had a leak and i bought ( fool) a reconditioned one for mucho dinaro, so let me know if you need one, no real idea what it is worth.

Cheers peter

Thanks I will keep you posted :beer:

What he said. WTO is supposed to be good.

Working out the details on a used gear box.

Any info/does/donts/shortcuts on replacing? I have the FSM, but hasn't satisfied my "sure, remove and replace"

On a little time crunch. I will remove my old one and rebuild at some point depending on the carnage.

If you want a spare twisted sector shaft.....I have a few:)

Joking aside....The normal place that I have seen these shafts twist is right where the pitman arm meets the sector shaft splines. In the void between the box and the pitman arm. Is usually very obvious. I have done a couple of steering boxes for a few members here on the forum as well as outside of this forum. If interesed and should decide on a remanufactured with lifetime warranty....pm me. Pricing is good

If you want a spare twisted sector shaft.....I have a few:)

Joking aside....The normal place that I have seen these shafts twist is right where the pitman arm meets the sector shaft splines. In the void between the box and the pitman arm. Is usually very obvious. I have done a couple of steering boxes for a few members here on the forum as well as outside of this forum. If interesed and should decide on a remanufactured with lifetime warranty....pm me. Pricing is good

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom