Steering box sector shaft - tool for the stake nut ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys, I've searched and searched and I can't find anywhere that sells the SST for the stake nut that goes on top of the sector shaft.
What has everyone else done to loosen and tighten this?

I've found this pic (off here) but not sure if the measurements are correct, if so, I could make something out of a coupler nut - what do you reckon ?

240475892_4645701725442470_3142849977303641043_n.jpg

unnamed.png
unnamed2.png

Last edited:
What is the p/n for the SST?

There’s a thread from @Box Rocket where he rebuilds a box and makes a tool from a socket and I think a 14mm nut. Dunno about the actual tool part number though.

There’s a thread from @Box Rocket where he rebuilds a box and makes a tool from a socket and I think a 14mm nut. Dunno about the actual tool part number though.
Here's the post from my steering box rebuild thread.

Thanks. Read that one too. So does anyone know if there is an actual SST for this?

how tight did you install the stake nut?

Thanks. Read that one too. So does anyone know if there is an actual SST for this?

how tight did you install the stake nut?
I think I tightened the nut until it was fully seated iirc. That along with the blue loctite should keep it where it should be.

I found an old 14mm hex nut that was a bit longer. Drilled out out and it works well.
As the adjusting screw needs to swivel around I wouldnt be inclined to tighten it down or you won't be able to turn the adjusting screw. So I'll fit it lightly and put some loctite on it.

Hope this helps someone:

IMG-1899.jpg

IMG-1900.jpg
IMG-1901.jpg
IMG-1902.jpg
IMG-1903.jpg

How tight did you tighten the stake nut? (It can’t be too tight as it’s got to move, right)
Stake nut does not have a torque spec. The thrust clearance for the screw is adjusted to 0.03 - 0.05 mm. Then nut is staked.

Steering box preload1.jpg

Set input shaft preload first, hold adjusting screw, then torque lock nut to 34 ft-lb.

Steering box preload.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom