Steering box replacement - documented (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Great write up here OP. This was much quicker than I thought it would be. I got everything put back together and the drag link doesn't align with the new pitman arm. I replaced my box with a brand new OEM and corresponding 105 arm. Installed it on the center point. I also made sure to keep the uni joint on the steering wheel linkage centered.

I know there's a center point in the steering box and I'd like to make sure I keep that in tolerance. I didn't know if I should move the steering wheel or adjust the drag link.

View attachment 3491994View attachment 3491995What was the solution for the off set?

@arod85 I was careful to not touch pitman arm when unpacking it. I assumed it was manufactured and shipped with the pitman arm centered. I shortened the drag link equally on both sides until it fit. Did not take much! Drives incredible.

According to the 1996 FSM the relay rod should be "approximately 1,090 mm" according to the installation section for the relay rod, while in the service data section it lists it as "approximately 1,080mm". Measurement is from the centers of the end holes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom