Steering Box Rebuild - ?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Box Rocket

SILVER Star
Threads
I'm working on rebuilding a spare steering box that I've had on the shelf. Can anyone tell me if there is a trick to removing this stake nut from the top of the sector shaft without destroying it? Or does this need to be replaced if I'm installing a new sector shaft that doesn't have this already installed?

Steering box FZJ80 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

Of course since it needs to go into the new shaft. But...I don’t know specifically how. I don’t mess with gear boxes. I send to the pros 😜

You can see how those notches in the shaft are ramped? Modify something in the shop to resemble a small chisel that fits snug in there. Simply slide it in and give it a few whacks to form the tabs back out of the way.

^^^ that. The FSM calls out an SST for doing exactly that.

Lots of good stuff in here

The nut is supposed to be replaced during rebuild. There is a factory SST to remove it, but I just fabricated an extraction tool by drilling out the center of a 14mm nut enough to slip over the adjusting screw. As Grandlooser mentioned, carefully punch the stake tabs without destroying them and you can re-use the nut. Not perfect, but similar to reusing a pinion nut. If you file the bottom of the nut slightly you can stake it in a new spot.
Or... if you are not in a hurry, just order a new nut. About $4 bucks.
4414260020-stering nut lock.jpg

Thanks for the responses. I made my own SST today to push the tabs back in. But even after doing that the nut wouldn’t budge. Don’t know if it’s got some kind of thread locker on it or what but it wasn’t moving no matter what I tried. I spent a couple hours this evening working on removing it. At this point the locking tabs are deformed enough I worry about reusing the nut anyway. So I think I’ll just be replacing it. Makes more sense to do that anyway.
@Shipwreck thank you for the part number! Any chance you know the part number (Or the name so I can look it up) of the adjustment screw that goes with it? I will need to replace that as well since the nut isn’t coming out.

I think I am going to start including that stake nut to the rebuild kits :hmm:
Stake nut and adjustment screw would be an awesome addition. If replacing the stake nut is necessary because the old one can't be reused, it means the adjustment screw is also unable to be used since it's held captive by the stake nut.

I think I am going to start including that stake nut to the rebuild kits :hmm:
If you do, you should also include a version of the SST to set the nut in place.
Hint: Someone would have to confirm, but I think a driveshaft nut might work combined with an extended socket. The driveshaft nut might have the proper distance across flats, the inside diameter might fit over the adjusting screw, and it is just tall enough to stick up above the stake nut.

Or you could design your own made of titanium, powder coated, and engraved with a Wits End logo. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom