Steering box question.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I searched for some info on this but didnt find a post with my exact problem. I have aftermarket powersteering, not saginaw...I have found some play at the pitman arm shaft ..it moves inteh box in the horizontal plane...forward and back. There isn't a ton of movement..maybe a 1/16 inch each way, but seems to me that the shaft should only rotate on its axis not move side to side at all. Anyone know if there is a certain amount of play that lands within factory specs?? I tried to adjust the screw on the back of the box but it didnt seem to do anything. I have read that a powersteering box is not very fun to rebuild. Would a little amount of back and forth movement create a wandering effect in the steering at times???

Yeah I need a factory manual...

thanks in advance.

Any movement other than rotational is probably not good. And it could add a littlle slop.

What aftermarket steering? i got the not saginaw, but saginaw is a manufacture of millions of power steering boxes, which ever moron decided to use to describe the one box used on cruisers should be shot.

Yes and yes.

then i am back to what box, what kit, etc..?

BTW what is a toyota LC factory manual do for you, when the box in ? is a aftermarket.

Yeah I know there a million saginaw boxes, what I should have said is.. it is configured like a factory toyota setup, box is bolted to the frame with the center arm still in place. I know it is not factory...Can one tell by looking at the steering box itself as to the origin..Toyota part or other manufacturer?

Hmmm...maybe a service manual tell me that...

If you still have center arm in place then it is almost certainly one of three things.

Minitruck PS
OEM cruiser box retrofitted
OEM cruiser box shell with minitruck goodies.

Thanks thats what I was looking for....what is anyones opinion on the center arm / power steering setup as opposed to the "saginaw" type setup where the c-arm is removed...does that setup tighten the steering up?? I guess my question is what are the reasons to choose one over the other..parts availability?

thanks

I have NO play in my OEM PS set up, but I replaced all the TREs,center arm and everyting else attached to the steering.

If it is in and out axial play of the shaft in its bore, then the side adjuster should eliminate it. If it is side to side wobble in the direction that the drag link moves, then the sector shaft bearings are worn. This is unusual for Toyota PS, because they are roller bearings and not bushings. If the box mount or pedestel is cast, then it is OEM cruiser PS. If the pedestel is welded, then chances are it is a mini truck conversion. Either way it is easy to fix. For the mini truck, just get a new box. If it is the OEM cruiser box, either buy a mini truck box and swap the internals or just replace the bearings and seals with new parts.

this is my OEM PS box, same 79-83, it mounts to the OEM manaul box pedistal. If the pedistal looks different its a mini truck box.
31617643.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom