Steering Box Leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Oh s***!!! That’s not good. Do you have a big magnet? If not you should swing by the depot or Harbor Freight and get one. The type with a handle so you sweep it through the grass. If no luck finding them maybe we can find someone that has a box with a bent sector shaft and willing to sell/donate a few bearings.

Going to HF tomorrow to get a bigger & stronger magnet. I was talking to Georg @orangefj45 for some other parts and asked him if he had any laying around, he did not, but suggested West Texas Off-road May be able to get me some. If I cannot find them, I will call WTO

@meatloaf I am torn between the need to do things on my own vs paying to have it done correctly by a professional.

But regardless, happy to see your progress on the re-build. I had a damn hard time getting the teflon ring in on my rebuild. Also had so much trouble initially trying to get those damn mini-balls back in.

Its been over a year now with no problems and it was only $30 with the Gates kit off Rockauto. Great feeling of satisfaction, but if I had to do it all over again, I'd probably just send it out. Good thing is though you feel like a champion when you finally replace the cotter pin on the TRE!

Going to HF tomorrow to get a bigger & stronger magnet. I was talking to Georg @orangefj45 for some other parts and asked him if he had any laying around, he did not, but suggested West Texas Off-road May be able to get me some. If I cannot find them, I will call WTO

Can also try redhead steering. Only place I’ve seen that claim to replace them. They should have some laying around.

@meatloaf I am torn between the need to do things on my own vs paying to have it done correctly by a professional.

But regardless, happy to see your progress on the re-build. I had a damn hard time getting the teflon ring in on my rebuild. Also had so much trouble initially trying to get those damn mini-balls back in.

Its been over a year now with no problems and it was only $30 with the Gates kit off Rockauto. Great feeling of satisfaction, but if I had to do it all over again, I'd probably just send it out. Good thing is though you feel like a champion when you finally replace the cotter pin on the TRE!

I was so frustrated after the first fail that I was ready to send it to WTO, as you can see several responses in this thread convinced me otherwise. Lots of great knowledge & resources here on Mud

Can also try redhead steering. Only place I’ve seen that claim to replace them. They should have some laying around.

Thanks for the heads up @Jdog, if I cannot find the missing ones, I'll check with redhead,

Conclusion to this saga, I was not able to find or source the bearings, so steering box is in a bucket and on its way to WTO

Last edited:
Thanks to all who offered advice and tried to help!

Missed this earlier and too late to help now but I had to buy some ball bearings last year for a rebuild. Only needed one or two but had to buy a bunch. I could have sent some your way. I remember it was difficult finding a source.

Missed this earlier and too late to help now but I had to buy some ball bearings last year for a rebuild. Only needed one or two but had to buy a bunch. I could have sent some your way. I remember it was difficult finding a source.

Thanks Godwin! Wish I'd known also. I tried Georg, WTO, Online, local Toyota dealership, online, even posted in the "wanted" section of the classifieds here.
I've also been really busy at work and had not done much with the 60 the last 2 weeks+, so this is probably for the best

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom