Steering box dilemma (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just bought an FJ62 in Salt Lake City and I’m heading down shortly to pick it up. The seller and I had State Automotive (who Cruiser Outfitters recommends for work) look it over and do some pre-pick-up tasks.

The inspection said the steering is sloppy so I asked that they replace the tie rod ends. Dustin w/ State called me and said it’s not the TREs, it’s the steering box. “We tightened the rag joint (ed note: what rag joint?) all the way and that helped but it needs a rebuilt box”. Unfortunately there’s not enough time for that to happen so I’m going to just deal with that myself when I get it home.

My problem is that none of the rebuilders sound like they do anything with the worn out parts, everybody just reseals. That’s not what I need, and I don’t feel like paying $300 in shipping (I’m in Alaska, driving the FJ62 to the barge dock in Seattle) to not solve the problem.

RockAuto sells new and rebuilt 80 boxes for about what I’d pay to have my 62 box rebuilt. Has anyone bought one of the NEW Lares 80 boxes and installed it into a 60 series? Other posts hint that the new Lares-brand boxes may have the 105 sector shaft already, which I don’t think works in the 60 series. The listing on RA doesn’t really help me much but it doesn’t seem to indicate a new pitman is needed.

I don’t really need the 80 box, but if I’m buying something it may as well be an upgrade for the same price, right?

Any advice from the cloud?

Steering will be not tight regardless of what steering box you have installed.
The specified free play in the wheel is almost 2 inches.
These trucks do not steer like modern cars.
Just get your cruiser delivered and drive it for a while. You'll probably get used to the imprecise steering.
Then when it's time, my suggestion is to just purchase a fully rebuilt 62 steering box from somewhere and after its installed, send yours back for the core refund.
I wouldn't make a big deal out of it. Your 62 will never steer like a race car.

I have a 62 already, I know how that one handles…

My concern is that a shop who specializes in Land Cruisers said my box needs replacing.

I’ve done more digging and it sounds like if the new box comes with the 105 sector shaft, then the 105 pitman arm and 80 series tie rod end should make it work. I can deal with that, I just don’t want to eat the price of a box + shipping.

Had mine rebuilt at Adco in Houston. I have to say it was a noticeable improvement and eliminated the wandering issue I had at highway speeds. Those guys are old school and do nothing but rebuild power steering units all day, every day. They recognized my box immediately and actually were doing another FJ60 box at the time. I can recommend them highly but shipping is going to be your issue, as you say.

with the pitman arm removed it will fit in a large flat rate box, cheap shipping, just use lots of tape, I usually wrap the box in plastic shopping bags for leakage

I used a bbb oe vision from an 80 on my 60. Under $400 with core and it worked out great. I’ve put 20k miles on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom