Steering box adjustment screw bottomed out (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spook50

Skål
Supporting Vendor
Threads
So I have a ton of free play in my steering wheel (close to 5") and it's been close to 15 years since I've touched the adjusting screw on my steering box. I adjusted by 1/8 turn increments and got some of the free play out of my wheel, but before I could even get half of it out, the screw bottomed out. I only put light pressure on it because I didn't want to risk causing any damage, but it looks like she's worn past her allowable tolerance. If it's coming up on the end of its life, I'm going to go ahead and do the 80 box and get 80 linkage from 4x4Labs set up for the 3" of the OME kit I've got (hoping to put that on the weekend after New Years). Since I'll get a used 80 box and rebuild kit, I'm going to go ahead and do the 105 sector shaft and 105 pitman arm. Question though, is the taper on the rod end of the pitman arm a match for the 80 TRE's taper, or will it have to be reamed at all?

In the meantime, I've got a new set of 555 60 series TREs and drag link ends I'm going to put in so I can make it until I upgrade the setup.

Edit: Took it out for a short drive (had to make a run to the dump and then pick up a few circuit breakers for the house) and steering felt WAY better and more solid. I decided to back the screw off a hair so it wouldn't be sitting in the bottomed out position, and when I loosened the lock nut, the screw was able to make another 1/4 turn before hitting bottom again. So I decided to leave it backed 1/8 turn off from the new bottomed out position. Honestly I still think the box is starting to show its advanced age (hell, almost 32 years and about 305K miles and not a drop of leakage), but now I think it'll last plenty long enough for me to comfortably wait until I have all the parts necessary for the steering upgrade and can tackle it (since I'll be getting new arms from 4x4Labs, I'll do it when I next do the steering knuckles) when it's convenient for me.

Last edited:
If the adjustment screw bottoms out, the sector shaft and worm assembly have worn to maximum limit.

If the adjustment screw bottoms out, the sector shaft and worm assembly have worn to maximum limit.
That's what I was afraid of. Feels great for now though! Wheel snaps back to center, smooth all the way from stop to stop, about .5-.75" free play now, so within limits. Hopefully it lasts until I can get the 80 steering setup ready to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom