Steering Arm, Tie Rod, and Pitman Arm Taper Summary (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have heard the tie rod end taper for the FJ-40/55/60 is the same as for the FJ-80. That is, the taper is 1.2" TPF (taper per foot), or 6 Degrees taper. Can you confirm this to be true? I understand the shaft diameter is the largest on the 80 Series.

And a second question related to a FJ-40....... many of us have converted to Saginaw power steering and we use a Moog ES-140R tie rod end to mate to a Jeep CJ-5/7 pitman arm. Does anyone know the taper on this specific tie rod end or the Jeep Pitman arm? They should have the same taper of course, but what is it?? What is the TPF (taper per foot)? Or.... what is the taper in degrees?

I see reference to a "small GM taper". Is this a 3.5 Degree taper? If not, does anyone know the TPF (taper per foot) or the taper in degrees for the "small GM taper"?

Then... there is reference to a "large GM taper". I believe I am correct in saying this refers to a 1.5 TPF, or 7.125 Degree taper.

I'm hopeful that with answers to these questions we can summarize in one spot what the various tapers are that we deal with. There are probably other applications that we should add?? Is it in a "Sticky"?

I apologize if this information is already available and I have not found it.

Thanks....

Thanks for your validation on the large GM tie rod ends. Anyone else have answers??

Sure would like to hear from some of you experts who have been through this.

One more trip around the block to see if anyone has knowledge they are willing to share. I suspect our vendors might know the answers, but I may be asking too much from them.

One more trip around the block to see if anyone has knowledge they are willing to share. I suspect our vendors might know the answers, but I may be asking too much from them.

Well are you buying parts from them? :D

Yes the Toyota taper is the same, the diameter of course changes. There are at least 4 diameters I'm familiar with, all 1.200" TPF. The shaft diameter is NOT the largest on the 80, in fact the 6x/7x Drag-Link/Relay-Rod has a larger diameter than the 8x. Then there is 100/200 stuff.

I've not ever run across a GM taper other than 1.500" TPF but I've not looked, we ream pitmans out to the GM 1-Ton stuff and/or Pitmans to 8x or the 6x/7x big boy, never anything else.

Thanks to Cruiser Outfitters for sharing the taper information. It is appreciated!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom