Steering/alignment (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

KDAWG97m3

SILVER Star
Threads
Hey guys. I am about to start tearing into my front end (1997lx450)It’s is time. New tie rods, new upgraded steering stabilizer, camber correction bushings. The center bar seems to be rusted and not sure the tie rods can be adjusted, I’ll check on that too.

anything I am missing? Outside of the axle seals, what else should I do. She wheels here and there, but mostly pavement.
also it has a 2.5-3in OME Lift on it.
thanks

Last edited:
Flush your power steering fluid.

Hi is many miles do you have in your steering gearbox…maybe it’s time to rebuild that too with a new sector shaft?

While you're in there (famous last words) - upgrade the power steering cooler and replace the high pressure line?

Hey guys. I am about to start tearing into my front end (1997lx450)It’s is time. New tie rods, new upgraded steering stabilizer, camber correction bushings. The center bar seems to be rusted and not sure the tie rods can be adjusted, I’ll check on that too.

anything I am missing? Outside of the axle seals, what else should I do. She wheels here and there, but mostly pavement.
also it has a 2.5-3in OME Lift on it.
thanks
May need a thrust washer or two? They don't come in any kit. May not need them, but you won't know till you're already halfway in.

edit: oh wait. Don't guess you're going in that far anyway. Disregard.

Everything said here. Your steering box might be ok as I've seen where some have nice and tight steering. When I picked my 80 up at 221k miles, it was already a vagabond on the highway. A "rebuilt" one from Rockauto didn't improve anything since I don't believe they actually replace any of the hard components like sector shaft or worm gear. When you do decide to replace it, either go with a brand new Toyota unit with the pitman arm or do a rebuild with the 105 shaft and arm. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the new boxes come with the 105 shaft?

Don't need the upgraded steering stab unless you just want it. I just went through this process on my 80 and that stabilizer is mostly there to lessen minor driving feedback. If your toe is set correctly and your caster is good, you're fine. Speaking of caster, listen to what the others here have said. Correct it with hard parts - control arms or plates, not bushings. Everyone who uses the bushings and knows what they're talking about comes back later and rips them out because apparently they don't work. If you're opening the axles read up on that and do everything at once. Don't just replace a seal here or there unless you're trying to fix a specific problem (known leak, etc). All of the cleaning can be done with some gas/diesel and a couple nylon brushes. It's tedious but it works and reassembly will be much easier. Have spares for easy to break parts (hub studs, etc). Tie rod ends aren't hard to change unless they are truly rusted in place. If they're really corroded it may be time to just get new tubes and ends and call it a day. Put the new ones on with liberal amounts of anti-seize: you will thank yourself later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom