Steer Arms

Discussion in '95-older Toyota Truck Tech' started by Jonathan_Ferguson, Nov 16, 2005.

1. Jonathan_Ferguson

Jonathan_Ferguson ★ is in the wrong locale SILVER Star

2. Jonathan_Ferguson

Jonathan_Ferguson ★ is in the wrong locale SILVER Star

I've just used a Bottle Jack onto the left Drag Link Ball Joint, and it didn't make a sound, and I was able to lift the Axle off the Wheel Stand.

3. Curran

Curran

Jonathan,
    IIRC, your Hilux is a solid front axle. Did you remember to remove the cone washers on the studs holding the steering arm to the knuckle? The arm has a metal pin (don't know the name of it off the top of my head) attached to it that goes down through the knuckle into the akle housing. Don't try to lift the arm out by putting a jack under the tie rod link. At the least, that will only put torque on the pin that goes through everything and may make it harder to get out. Worse, it could damage your steering arm or the trunion bearings inside the axle housing. Once you get the cone washers off, try tapping on the side of the arm near the knuckle with a hammer.

Curran

4. Red_Chili

Red_Chili

Upon reassembly, remember to use Permatex Anti-Seize on the cone washers. Makes it infinitely easier next time.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.