Steelies vs. Aluminum OEM's??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm bouncing around the idea of changing out my stock aluminum 80 wheels with 16 x 8 black steelies. I really like the steelies look...and I'm not into the 'shiny' accesories 'thing' at this time. Anyone care to share some insight / info. on this subject? Thanks

The stock alums are very strong and much, much, lighter. Powdercoat them:)
DCP03760.JPG

I was out on some slippery rocks the other day and really marked up my OEM wheels. When I step up to 35's I'm going to put them on steelies. This way I'll have lighter 33's for daily driving and 35's on wheels I don't care about for trail days.

Powdercoat some OEM Steelies Black.;)

attachment.php

My stock alums are corroding where they are scratched...does anyone know a fix for this? :confused:

What is involved with powder coating? Those pics look prtty good. What colors are available? Could that be a fix for an ugly, corroded wheel?

Drop your rims off at the powdercoaters and thern pick them up again a couple of days later. It should fix your corroded alloy rims just nicely.

Is there any other colour than black:confused:

Seriously, just about any colour is available to powdercoat.

Sounds great!

Technically, black isn't a color...it's the absence of color! ;)

Seriously...Is the process limited to just one color, or can they do two or three colors?...for instance the flat parts silver and the inside edges of the holes black...

Great Rig!

I have to say that is 1 SWEET ASS truck you got there Mickldo!
:cheers:

You can powdercoat in just about any color, but it will cost a little more. Sorry about the thread hijack.

What does a single aluminum rim weigh vs. a single steelie?

Sounds great!

Technically, black isn't a color...it's the absence of color! ;)

Seriously...Is the process limited to just one color, or can they do two or three colors?...for instance the flat parts silver and the inside edges of the holes black...

Actually Black is a Pigment not a color as is White. . . . :flipoff2:

Below are the steelies I want for my 80...I think these are 16 x 7 steel Taco rims. Will they bolt right up to my rig? If so, what are to potential problems / issues with going from a 16 x 8 rim to a 16 x 7? Also, I don't know the backspacing on the steel Taco rims...anyone know this? Thanks again...

attachment.php

What does a single aluminum rim weigh vs. a single steelie?

About 1/2 as much.

The OEM 16x8 steel is ~43 lbs each and the alloy is ~22 lbs.

Thanks Dan...will the 16 x 7 Taco rims w/15mm backspacing in the pic bolt-up to my rig w/no mods? Please advise...Thanks

Tacoma rims will bolt up. The back spacing will be off and will require the use of a spacer to push the wheel out to a 'stock' position.

I'm bouncing around the idea of changing out my stock aluminum 80 wheels with 16 x 8 black steelies. I really like the steelies look...and I'm not into the 'shiny' accesories 'thing' at this time. Anyone care to share some insight / info. on this subject? Thanks

OEM FJ-75 for the third world came with heavy duty off-road steel wheels with a removable (by the driver without any special tool or machine) bead ring which allow to repair your tire on site :grinpimp:

get a set of steelies (and tires) for offroad, and alimi's w/ light weight street tread for the DD routine.

If I did 0-70-90% DD, I know how to remove the tires, I have a jack and the tools I happen to like the handling with non offroad tires better on road plus the fuel consumtion is better.

ask around steel wheels are a (helofa) lot heavyer but not as fragile as lumi's.

LTB's (and steelie's) are cheap and changing wheels is easy and w/ two sets the two sets of tires last longer.

my buck fitty....

OEM FJ-75 for the third world came with heavy duty off-road steel wheels with a removable (by the driver without any special tool or machine) bead ring which allow to repair your tire on site :grinpimp:

Any pics of these OEM FJ-75 rims?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom