Steel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I don't think I had told anybody that I bought ONiell's stick welder a few weeks ago. I've added a 50 AMP 220 circuit to my breaker box along with the necessary receptacle. Now I'm ready to start making my rear bumper. Does anyone have suggestions for where to go to get steel? I'm thinking initially I need a 2X5 rectangle tube, some 2X3 angle, 2X2 square tube for the receiver, various sizes of 10 gauge plate for gussets and probably a few other things I can't think of and will have to go back for later. What thickness would be good for D-ring mounts? I've seen people use anywhere from 1/2" to 1". I'm also planning to buy a spare tire mount spindle eventually. I know Slee has one. Any other suggestions where to look?

I'm attempting to make this as lightweight as possible without fabricating the entire thing from plate steel like the COTS bumpers. I'm hoping the use of 1/8" in most places will help me accomplish this.

the 2 main places you can get steel from that i know of is Koenigs, and Metal Supermarkets. Koenigs is mostly scrap and some new. they are on Zuni (just S of Central)at San Pedro IIRC. Metal Supermarkets is all new metal. they are on San Fransisco just east of the I25 frontage between San Antonio and Paseo. i've used both with good satisfaction.

Shawn

Choice Steel. 7100 2nd NW. 344-4940

I've picked up stuff there for a couple of projects. I got my 6061 aluminum from Marco steel, right next door. 345-3555.

They do not front 2nd street. You drive down an alley to the east off of 2nd.

I second Choice Steel. They even cut my steel for me. It is behind the MESA store.

Vince

Prices

I don't know about Choice Steel, but in my experience Metal Supermarkets is about a dollar a pound and Koenig's is half that.

SteveLCetc I don't know about Choice Steel, but in my experience Metal Supermarkets is about a dollar a pound and Koenig's is half that.

that's true, but i have many times not found what i needed at Koenig's.

Choice Steel is good, but you have to buy a full stick of whatever you want. they will cut it, but you buy the whole thing. Metal Supermarkets cuts and you only buy the length you want. Koenig's cuts, you buy the length you want, but less selection and cheapest. advantages to each depending on what you want.

Shawn

You mat want to get a universal receiver tube. I got a Valley 24 inch tube for my hitch project. It was fairly reasonable and it already had a reinforcing ring and it was drilled for the pin.

24" universal tube

You mat want to get a universal receiver tube. I got a Valley 24 inch tube for my hitch project. It was fairly reasonable and it already had a reinforcing ring and it was drilled for the pin.

Do you recall where you got the universal tube? I had limited success finding it on the web. I'm assuming that I would just cut off the end of it once I figured out how much length I need. All the bolt-on receiver hitches I've seen have just one crossmember. Has anyone ever built or seen anything where the receiver tube had a second crossmember further forward? That would add a substantial amount of lateral stiffness. I'm not actually thinking it would be necessary since I don't plan to ever tow anything very heavy (it is a 60 after all). But from a recovery perspective, it would make the bumper and receiver tube quite a bit more stout and spread the loads out on the frame.

Marc,

You can also get a receiver tube from a local trailer place.

As far as the spindle for the tire carrier, you can also get it from the trailer place. I used a basic trailer stub axle housing with two bearings. I think my spindle is about 1" diam. But, if you wanna get a complete unit for a plug and play, check out www.rockstomper.com. They have one for a decent price if memory serves.

Good luck,

Ali

I bought mine from Northern Tool.

6" Receiver Tube: 330680, $13
12": 330682, $20
18": 330684, $28

Great! That will save me som fab time.

I fired the welder up last night to check it out. Seems to work ok. I need to practice a bunch more to figure out the right level of current for each size of rod. The welder hums when I turn it on and buzzes pretty loudly when I've got an arc going. Is this buzzing normal? The only other stick welding I've done was in a school setting where the equipment was far away from the welding station so I have no idea what a normal sound is.

Marc, I have a spindle from rockstomper that am not going to use. If you want you can have it for $40. Let me know I can bring it on the run this weekend.

Vince

I'm also planning to buy a spare tire mount spindle eventually. I know Slee has one. Any other suggestions where to look?

Mine came from Luke at 4x4Labs

He sells two. I bought the heavy duty which might be the same as Slee's.

If anyone goes by Koenigs in the next week or so could they please check to see if they have any large peices of aluminum diamond plate?

I bought my tube from Carquest. It was made by Valley Mfg.

If anyone goes by Koenigs in the next week or so could they please check to see if they have any large peices of aluminum diamond plate?

I have some at the house, I think it 1/4 in thk. 1.5’ x10’
Will this work?
DMX

Great! That will save me som fab time.

I fired the welder up last night to check it out. Seems to work ok. I need to practice a bunch more to figure out the right level of current for each size of rod. The welder hums when I turn it on and buzzes pretty loudly when I've got an arc going. Is this buzzing normal? The only other stick welding I've done was in a school setting where the equipment was far away from the welding station so I have no idea what a normal sound is.

Without being there to listen to it, it's probably is normal, my Airco arc welder hums.
You can also get the hitch material at koenings (any length).

Has anyone been there in awhile? After Ted died his step daughters were working there Michele & brandy- ( I think) anyway, Michele is hot and isn’t afraid to get dirty.
A few years ago she worked at Sea world in San Diego- she has as degree in marine biology.
I obviously spend too much time there!
Dean

I have some at the house, I think it 1/4 in thk. 1.5’ x10’

I think 1/4" is thicker than I want. What I have seen was close to 1/8" I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom