Steel Wheels with 3.5" Backspacing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone know of a manufacturer that produces wheels with 3.5" backspacing that will fit a 78 FJ40?

I bought the rock crawlers from 4 wheel parts. Not the best made whell in the world but they work and they come in 3.5 bs. You need to tell them you want the back space as they order them in. They have the 3.75 in stock and will try to sell you those, at least they did to me.

I got mine at FJ60.com. I was the first customer and the photograph on the web site is my actual spare. I'm very happy - Jeff gives excellent customer service and is a Cruiser dude.

Heads up on the black rock crawlers from 4Wheel Performance Parts: even though I ordered mine with the 3.5" backspacing, the dish angle of the wheel was too severe (just slightly) to allow for adequate clearance of the brake calipers. I ground down the centerline of my rims all the way home from the tire shop everytime I braked.

Although not crazy about the solution, I had to add a 1/4" spacer to the fronts to solve the problem. If you don't care about losing a little bit of steel off of the rim, the problem will self-correct but I didn't like the idea of creating a corrosion issue on my rims. Great price on the rims though, and man, do they look tough!

-dogboy- '87 FJ60

[quote author=dogboy link=board=1;threadid=4619;start=msg35188#msg35188 date=1061914659]
Heads up on the black rock crawlers from 4Wheel Performance Parts: even though I ordered mine with the 3.5" backspacing, the dish angle of the wheel was too severe (just slightly) to allow for adequate clearance of the brake calipers. I ground down the centerline of my rims all the way home from the tire shop everytime I braked.

Although not crazy about the solution, I had to add a 1/4" spacer to the fronts to solve the problem. If you don't care about losing a little bit of steel off of the rim, the problem will self-correct but I didn't like the idea of creating a corrosion issue on my rims. Great price on the rims though, and man, do they look tough!

-dogboy- '87 FJ60
[/quote]

same story here, ordered the 4wP wheels in 3.5, got part numer for IH8Mud and other places to be sure. Guess what...they rubbed the caliper, I was at Discount tire when we were putting them on, they let me borrow their grinder and I ground the caliper down right then and there......then they fit. Pissed the hell out of me........IH84WP :mad:

latter I used some 3.75 Uniques on my fj45(with disc brake front) and they fit fine, rattle canned em black.

BTW there is NO WAY to make the 4WP wheels fit the rear FF axle on a fj45....the drum brake is different, no way grinding would help, a spacer is needed. But the 3.75 uniques fit no problem.

I have found that as well as backspacing its how the wheel is made, if the D cut out is curved to the inside they will rub...even in 3.5, if the D is cut flat.....no rub even in a 3.75

did I mention IH84WP?

So do the ones from summit work?? I just had a set of 36's stolen mounted on stock white spoke rims, so I am looking for new tires and rims! Thanks!

I just got a set of US Wheel Black wagons, supposedly 3.5", the rim rubs the steering arm/TRE joint. Trying to see if maybe they aren't correct backspacing, they clear the drums fine, just not the steering arm.

Stockton Wheel can make wheels for FJ's in a variety of styles and their prices aren't too bad. I like their steelies.

Nothing like reviving a 12 year old thread!

I'm looking to get some new wheels, and I've got the same question. Most of the vendors mentioned in this thread don't seem to offer a 3.5" backspace anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom