Steel wheels for a 80 series like a fj40 steel with caps (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Isn’t a factory 16” alloy wheel zero offset? What is the offset on those steel 16’s? Just guessing here but they should work with spacers (Bora’s are available in 1/4” increments starting at 3/4”) and some 255/85’s. Would look pretty cool, IMO.
An 8" rom is standard with 4" backspace so that would be 0 offset

I saw the smoothie, I think cragar makes them.
Do you have any pics? I’m not following the pairing of the 40 with the smoothie.
They are made by Wheel Vintiques

Offset is all wrong for an 80. Flex uses Dean Cross Country alloys, which would be cheaper to order from Japan then having a company modify OEM's. Much lighter too

Shredwagon! THANK YOU! This is what I’m looking for. The cityracer would be a first choice.

Do you know of a USA retailer?

Thanks again

Thanks everyone, it looks like the only choice is the Tj cruiser steel wheel for a IMO organic OEM oldschool look.
I’m going to reach out the custom guys at wheel smith. The idea of paying more than 250 a wheel seems kind of nuts for a steel wheelthough. I did read a old post from 2013 14 about ICON selling something but fir around $600. To rich for me. My wife still doesn’t know I own this truck yet.

If anyone knows a supplier of Dean wheels in the USA that would be great. They are the only manufacturer of steel/hubcap style wheels for the 80 without going to possible spacers or custom made wheels.

They said that spacers won’t work with their wheels? Sorry, but that’s bulls***.
I didn’t ask them about spacers, here is the reply. Roger didn’t make any suggestions other than a place called Stockton wheels.
I am assuming by not suggesting spacers that he doesn’t think the wheel would work. I sent him a couple emails and did not want to become a pest. He was very helpful with a few emails back to me.

I’m not going to guess at this and see what works. I thought about building a wheel but that’s a fantasy with the time I have available to tinker. After hours and hours and hours of research and all of your help, I think it’s best to go with something PLUG And play if I can find it.

CityRacer is #1 I asked about a custom option
Or has anyone here used or know of someone who has the 60 series 16” with spacers?
DEAN wheels style cross country #2
Factory Tj cruiser steel 17”. #3

BEDF92CA-290E-460C-9A14-4D2920D74662.png

First of all, his response tells me that he’s a business man and simply covering his ass for people who don’t know what they’re doing. If you know what you’re doing or can figure it out, disregard.

The vehicle doesn’t care how wide the wheels are (be reasonable, as long as you aren’t on extreme ends of the spectrum you’ll be fine). Tires do have recommended wheel widths but I’d be willing to bet that most guys on this forum are running tires that are technicallly too wide for their wheels with zero issues. On another project of mine I have 9.50’s on super skinny 4.5” wheels and it’s perfectly fine. A couple different friends of mine have 33x10.50’s on 15” 40 series wheels (one FJ60, one FJ40) and they’re all good as well. They don’t handle great but they’re not meant to either.

It’s up to you, if it was me I wouldn’t hesitate to do it. What size tires you want to run? The 255/85’s sound good to me but I would research more before purchasing. Bolt them up and see how much (if any) it needs to be spaced out. This isn’t rocket surgery ;)

In a previous life I heard a lot more negative experiences with Stockton Wheel than positive ones. Maybe they’ve changed, maybe not. But he brings up a good point, you really wanted to you could have the city racer wheel centers welded to wider barrels, that would solve everything. Maybe you could order just the centers to save cost.

I think it’s a cool idea, don’t give up on it. Good luck.

First of all, his response tells me that he’s a business man and simply covering his ass for people who don’t know what they’re doing. If you know what you’re doing or can figure it out, disregard.

The vehicle doesn’t care how wide the wheels are (be reasonable, as long as you aren’t on extreme ends of the spectrum you’ll be fine). Tires do have recommended wheel widths but I’d be willing to bet that most guys on this forum are running tires that are technicallly too wide for their wheels with zero issues. On another project of mine I have 9.50’s on super skinny 4.5” wheels and it’s perfectly fine. A couple different friends of mine have 33x10.50’s on 15” 40 series wheels (one FJ60, one FJ40) and they’re all good as well. They don’t handle great but they’re not meant to either.

It’s up to you, if it was me I wouldn’t hesitate to do it. What size tires you want to run? The 255/85’s sound good to me but I would research more before purchasing. Bolt them up and see how much (if any) it needs to be spaced out. This isn’t rocket surgery ;)

In a previous life I heard a lot more negative experiences with Stockton Wheel than positive ones. Maybe they’ve changed, maybe not. But he brings up a good point, you really wanted to you could have the city racer wheel centers welded to wider barrels, that would solve everything. Maybe you could order just the centers to save cost.

I think it’s a cool idea, don’t give up on it. Good luck.

looking at trying to get the 305 ko2’s with a 2” ome lift. The 285’s are second.
Trying to buy the centers only is a great idea.

I

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom