Steel Wheel Tech (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

They may be out again but I’ve got a set after 4 months wait

BF138222-E344-4454-843F-189B074529AA.jpeg

I’m going to give these FJ Co an A+ in the quality department. Very impressed. Beautifully made and fit perfect on the Toyota lugs with OEM lug nuts.

Also they weigh about 4# less than the City Racer Steelies……ie they are heavy duty. They are expensive at $325 each but the quality is there.

09C0E119-4835-4695-A3FF-D7F2E73E3865.jpeg

3B8C1D14-39A6-419D-A205-CB4535D44C38.jpeg

B34BC3BA-9A2B-4CE5-A6A6-9086ECF248F2.jpeg

C05F618F-A95E-4077-A126-01F035AD7E88.jpeg

903C56BD-DC66-4CFD-A978-790D9203CC9F.jpeg

A set will look nice on Ole Blue

Last edited:
I’m going to give these FJ Co an A+ in the quality department. Very impressed. Beautifully made and fit perfect on the Toyota lugs with OEM lug nuts.

Also they weigh about 4# less than the City Racer Steelies……ie they are heavy duty. They are expensive at $325 each but the quality is there.
They look nice but I'm a little surprised the difference is only 4 lbs. Good information to have.

I’ve been posting this in my build thread but thought I would also post here if it will help someone else looking for wheel options.

I’ve been wanting to go to steel wheels and tall skinny tires since I built my pig but unfortunately something else kept getting in the way and I’ve had to wait until recently to make the switch.

I had originally planned to go to a 16” wheel but all of the 35”X10” tires I was finding where 17” and 17” wheel options are limited to just a few. Not sure how any of this was going to look I pick up a set of US wheel Rat Rod in 17”X7” with a 3.5” back space and planned to add some type of clip for the Toyota hubcaps once I got the wheels here. After ordering several types of clips and none of them working out I just chucked up my wheels in my rotary table on my mill and drilled them so I could attach the caps with screws. The screws are less than ideal but it was quick and easy got me on the road.
View attachment 2558285
View attachment 2558286

To order these wheels I had to call Summit Racing and give them the specs I wanted, the part number was 69-8712-spec. These wheels can be ordered in 15"-16"-17" in various width and back spacing.

Anyone have any pictures of these mounted on a 60 yet?

Does anyone have a source on aftermarket 16x8 steel wheels for the FJZ80? I've tried to buy the Toyota non-US market wheels twice and the dealers can't get them without being chewed up.

I see a few glossy black options that look like your typical alloy aftermarket but nothing that looks like an old school Toyota steelie.

I've also been trying to figure out if there's a 17" Toyota steel wheel out there that would fit a stock suspension and fit correctly.

Does anyone have a source on aftermarket 16x8 steel wheels for the FJZ80? I've tried to buy the Toyota non-US market wheels twice and the dealers can't get them without being chewed up.

I see a few glossy black options that look like your typical alloy aftermarket but nothing that looks like an old school Toyota steelie.

I've also been trying to figure out if there's a 17" Toyota steel wheel out there that would fit a stock suspension and fit correctly.

I too run the FJ Cruiser steel wheels with 255/80 R17. You shouldn't have much trouble finding them. They seem to position the wheels slightly inboard, which I prefer for a variety of reasons.

20210918-IMGL2650.jpg

20210918-IMGL2865.jpg

20211009-IMGL3430.jpg

Last edited:
I too run the FJ Cruiser steel wheels with 255/80 R17. You shouldn't have much trouble finding them. They seem to position the wheels slightly inboard, which I prefer for a variety of reasons.

@TWILLY , those look great. Great rig overall. I honestly didn't understand the offset and backspacing until just a few days ago. That's what was keeping me away from 17" wheels. Don't want to create a problem with them fitting and didn't want to run spacers. I will take a look. Thanks!

@TWILLY , those look great. Great rig overall. I honestly didn't understand the offset and backspacing until just a few days ago. That's what was keeping me away from 17" wheels. Don't want to create a problem with them fitting and didn't want to run spacers. I will take a look. Thanks!

Thanks. Yeah, my understanding is that some people run spacers when using the 17" FJ Cruiser steel wheel on the 80 in order to push the wheels outboard a bit. I did not want to run spacers, and so, before I pulled the trigger, I verified with a few folks on the forum that the wheel would work as is, without spacers, which for me it does. One might run into some rubbing if running a wide tire, but there's plenty of room for 255s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom