Steel OEM style 15" wheel options for FJ80? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After a fair bit of searching, I'm not seeing threads on steel OEM-style wheels, like below, in 15" instead of 16" that would fit (and function on) a 1992 FJ80. Anyone know of any options?

images.jpg

I asked this question a while back. Stock, you won't be able to fit 15" rims on an 80 series. In order to do so, you'd need to shave down the brake calipers I believe. There is a bit of aftermarket love for the 16" rims if you're interested in something along those lines.

The FJ80 stock wheels are 15". The FJZ80 stock wheels are 16". I have seen OEM style steel wheels, like above, in 16" on FJZ80s; my question is whether similar wheels exist in 15" that would fit the FJ80.

I'd be looking for a steel FJ60 wheel, or 55 or 40. I've never heard of a steel wheel on any 80 series in North America. The stock offset is 0mm, or centered, so anything with that or a negative offset should work, depending on the look you're after. I'm pretty sure the style of the wheel in your pic is available commonly at tire retailers, don't know if they still carry 15's but I would be surprised if they didn't.

I asked this question a while back. Stock, you won't be able to fit 15" rims on an 80 series. In order to do so, you'd need to shave down the brake calipers I believe. There is a bit of aftermarket love for the 16" rims if you're interested in something along those lines.
91/92 came standard with 15" rims. 93-97 came with 16" rims.

I'd be looking for a steel FJ60 wheel, or 55 or 40. I've never heard of a steel wheel on any 80 series in North America. The stock offset is 0mm, or centered, so anything with that or a negative offset should work, depending on the look you're after. I'm pretty sure the style of the wheel in your pic is available commonly at tire retailers, don't know if they still carry 15's but I would be surprised if they didn't.
When the 80 Series was introduced in the US, the aluminum 15x7 rims and 31x10.50R15 tires were part of the "towing package" which included fiberglass fender fares, tow hitch, and external transmission cooler. The standard package had steel rims, smaller tires, no flares, no roof rack, etc. I've seen a few of these on the road.

When I ordered mine in March of 1991, I had to check all the option boxes on the order form. No dealers had any stock as Toyota was shipping almost all 80 Series to UN peace keeping forces in the Gulf. I didn't take delivery until June of 91.

I’ve been looking into the same thing. I’ve got a 91. I discovered that the 3rd gen 4Runners / 1st gen Tacomas had 15x7 wheels. I believe the offset is slightly different, so I’m not sure if they’ll work. Gonna buy one and test fit it soon.

When the 80 Series was introduced in the US, the aluminum 15x7 rims and 31x10.50R15 tires were part of the "towing package" which included fiberglass fender fares, tow hitch, and external transmission cooler. The standard package had steel rims, smaller tires, no flares, no roof rack, etc. I've seen a few of these on the road.

When I ordered mine in March of 1991, I had to check all the option boxes on the order form. No dealers had any stock as Toyota was shipping almost all 80 Series to UN peace keeping forces in the Gulf. I didn't take delivery until June of 91.

For what its worth, 3-months is the standard lead-time for a custom order. It IS possible to do, but most dealers want to find something already in existence and charge you for stuff you don't want or not deliver on everything you do. These days, there are not many options on an LC200, but that is because everything is just standard as it is.

When we order our lease vehicles for work, we get to pick the options exactly how we want them. 3-4 months later it is at the dealer and ready to go. It actually takes 4 months to get a US built car because some of the parts come from Japan and that part of the parts pipeline needs to be accounted for.

Thanks for everyone's feedback.

Our 1992 new had fender flares and 31x10.50R15s but no tow hitch; I do not know if it has an external transmission cooler.

I had a 94 Toyota truck whose 15" spare was similar to the steelie I posted above (I always wished that it had come with five of those); maybe @KRArtice's research will play out. Keep us posted.

Or, as @cruiserhound suggests, I could go with 16 x 7 inch Toyota OEM steel wheels (like below). Anybody know if those will fit on a 1992?

5-Slee-Off-Road-Toyota-Land-Cruiser-80-Series-7-3-12.jpg

For what its worth, 3-months is the standard lead-time for a custom order. It IS possible to do, but most dealers want to find something already in existence and charge you for stuff you don't want or not deliver on everything you do. These days, there are not many options on an LC200, but that is because everything is just standard as it is.

When we order our lease vehicles for work, we get to pick the options exactly how we want them. 3-4 months later it is at the dealer and ready to go. It actually takes 4 months to get a US built car because some of the parts come from Japan and that part of the parts pipeline needs to be accounted for.
Not sure what this has to do with the topic, but OK.

Thanks for everyone's feedback.

Our 1992 new had fender flares and 31x10.50R15s but no tow hitch; I do not know if it has an external transmission cooler.

I had a 94 Toyota truck whose 15" spare was similar to the steelie I posted above (I always wished that it had come with five of those); maybe @KRArtice's research will play out. Keep us posted.

Or, as @cruiserhound suggests, I could go with 16 x 7 inch Toyota OEM steel wheels (like below). Anybody know if those will fit on a 1992?

View attachment 1706873

Anything larger than 15” should fit no problem just can’t go smaller for obvious reasons. I’m only looking at 15” options because I’ve got brand new 31x10.5-15 KO2 rubber on the truck. I’ll keep y’all posted. Probably have to wait until next payday as I’ve already spent my allotted LC money on this one.

OP What’d you end up with?

I too am interested in the steelies, but have read more than a few times (on here) how the OEM aluminums are high on performance; braking, handling, lighter, etc. so I’m on the fence and may just paint them. I can get a set of the early 2000s tundra/Tacoma spares for $200 in 16 (I like the 18 hole).

Hoping somebody can chime in on the performance thing. Nobody seems to list the weight of the wheels in specs, so that would be a start I guess in the 15 alum vs 16 steel debate. I see above @cruiserhound mentions a brake upgrade needed (wasn’t aware) so that is a major factor to consider. But the Steelies just look so much tougher...

@TWILLY the style of wheel you pictured appears to be the 16" tacoma/4runner spare. I'm not aware of any made in that style as a 15" wheel by toyota. I've definitely never seen it. There are some other 15" steel wheels out there though. If you're OK with a change in size, those 16s would work and the FJ Cruiser 17's are also a similar design.

I always thought the base-model mini truck wheels would look awesome. They are skinny 15's and would work well with 31x10.5s, not sure about the offset though.

1d.jpg

FJ 60 Stockers:
DSCN1597-940x705.jpg

fj40 stockers with hubcaps <3

imageuploadedbytapatalk1355469165-982551-jpg.57882

Later model pickup steelies:

87143d1323274699-will-2005-tacoma-steel-wheels-fit-my-1994-4wd-pickup-1994.jpg

Last edited:

I too am interested in the steelies, but have read more than a few times (on here) how the OEM aluminums are high on performance; braking, handling, lighter, etc. so I’m on the fence and may just paint them. I can get a set of the early 2000s tundra/Tacoma spares for $200 in 16 (I like the 18 hole).

Hoping somebody can chime in on the performance thing. Nobody seems to list the weight of the wheels in specs, so that would be a start I guess in the 15 alum vs 16 steel debate. I see above @cruiserhound mentions a brake upgrade needed (wasn’t aware) so that is a major factor to consider. But the Steelies just look so much tougher...

I had very corroded stock alloys on the truck when we bought it. CruiserDan set me up with a set of the 16" steelies (42601-60361) and told me what the difference in weight is but I can never remember it correctly so won't try to remember. I do recall it seemed like a big weight difference, but I can't say I ever noticed. I also upgraded from the stock Michelins to the KM2s at that time, so there was some weight difference there, too. No seat of the pants difference, although I'm sure there is probably something that could be measured with the right instrumentation.

They look good and do the job for me.

dDo8nG.jpg

I haven't yet made a move on wheels. This one's on the slow burner. I have new 15" rim 33"s - so I may wait until those tires wear out to upgrade to 16" which seems to have far more options.

A brake upgrade isn't needed to switch from 15" to 16". However, if you do switch to 16" this will allow you to upgrade the brakes to 93-97 rotor and calipers. And even switch your 91-92 rear semi float axles w/drum brakes to 93-97 full float axles with rotors and calipers. Keeping the 15" wheel will not let you fit the bigger caliper inside of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom