Steel half doors...... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been looking for steel half doors. I did a search and a bunch of you have them, but it wasn't mentioned if they were bought or fabricated. I have been looking for a couple years with not much luck. I am not much of a metal fabricator, but it doesn't look that hard to maybe use some diamond plate. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Mike-
There are quite a few threads here with pics, etc. of people's half door projects. You shouldn't have a hard time finding them with a search. I have been contemplating a set for myself for years, I just haven't had it in me to cut down my perfect set of full doors. I know some of the BNT boys have done it.

Thanks for the info Dom....I am still very new to this posting and all advice is much appreciated. I am hoping to maybe find some to buy, but if they are too expensive I will try to fab something up. BTW, I like the pic of your cruiser. We were at Borrego last weekend. The dropoff after the squeeze scares the hell out of me:crybaby: I watched a nasty roll off it several years back. Thanks!

mdonivan said:
Thanks for the info Dom....I am still very new to this posting and all advice is much appreciated. I am hoping to maybe find some to buy, but if they are too expensive I will try to fab something up. BTW, I like the pic of your cruiser. We were at Borrego last weekend. The dropoff after the squeeze scares the hell out of me:crybaby: I watched a nasty roll off it several years back. Thanks!

That roll wouldn't have been a blue Toyota minitruck would it? I saw that thing at the bottom of the dropoff a few years back when I was down there. Got a little cocky that day and actually drove UP that dropoff!

I heard a shop in Hemet was gonna make and offer a pair of half doors, but I never heard if they followed thru on it. I used to sell the ConFerr steel half doors, but I am out right now and haven't gone to a new vendor to get quotes yet.

I didn't know Con-fer made the half doors. I will see if I can find them somewhere. Thanks much for the info. If you happen to get some in or find a vendor, please feel free to drop me a line.
The blue Toy mini sat down out the bottom for years before being dragged out of there. It was picked clean by that point. I saw a guy in a fully set up Ford Courier, yes, Courier, go A** over tea kettle down it probably 15 + years ago by now. Landed on it's side. The driver had some bumps and bruises but we helped them get it righted and they drove on out. I never get tired of Anza-Borrego.
Have a good one and thanks again!

i used some old door skins off a 78 and cut them up. no latches but they work and i dont have to worry about them. let em knwo if you cant find i might be willing to part with these i have. i think im gonna fab up some heavy duty ones pretty soon. let me knwo if you want them

My buddy cut down the originals and capped them off. They work great and they make great arm rests.
halfdoors.jpg

Thanks Cruzerman.....I will let you know soon. Feel free to email me and let me know how much you want for them. Do you just bungee them shut now?
BTW......Hof Brau and Great American Fish Co. are two of my favorite food places.
Thanks!

Not steel but Aqualu makes some aluminum that appear to bolt right on: http://www.aqualu.com/Photos/Temp Accessories Pics/Half Doors Outside View.jpg

You didn't elaborate on the quality you are looking for or the $$ willing to spend.

Check out this link. This guy makes some absolutely fabulous stuff. His ability and attention to detail is admirable. I don't think he sells them but describes how he did things very well should you need some inspiration. http://medusa.ih8mud.com/cruiser/FJ40.html

No link but I have seen some home-grown aluminum diamond plate 1/2 doors as well.

Another option is the dude in Pakistan. I have read some people have been less than completely pleased with some missing parts, incorrect colors of tops received, the time to get it and the unexpected increase in shipping costs. YMMV. http://pi.com.pk/

You guys are all awesome! I very much appreciate your replies. I am beginning to realize just what a neophyte I am on this stuff. Dgangle, you are right about Jack Rice's doors he made. Those are incredible. I can see I need to break out my welder again and start practicing the fine art. The soft windows on those half doors were great. I would be willing to chop up my soft doors for a setup like that. Again....thanks to all for the responses.

The Pakistani ones also look great, probably way above my budget, though. Mike C., I will PM you for details, thanks much. Cdaniel, quick question, did you have to tig weld anything or was it cut, grind and shape regarding the doorskin? Thanks again!

I made the frames from scratch and had a local tent and awning place create the skins/windows.

mdonivan said:
Thanks Cruzerman.....I will let you know soon. Feel free to email me and let me know how much you want for them. Do you just bungee them shut now?
BTW......Hof Brau and Great American Fish Co. are two of my favorite food places.
Thanks!
alrighty they wont be expensive since they are jsut skins. the drivers door nees a latch teh otehr one i bolted a peice of flat steel to an existing hole so it would slide into a notch in the door. i put some faom on the top of them to keep from getitng cut. give me your email adress and i willg et you some pics. i dont want to sell them till i find some full old style doors to cut in half.

thanks
-miles

oh and hof brau is awesome

ok i just realized your email is in your sign so ill get you some pics asap

Thanks Cruzerman, that would be great!

i already sent them. 5 days ago. im gussing you didnt get them. i will try again rihgt now. let me know via a pm if you get them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom