Steel half doors (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a set of old ragged out doors for my 40. I want cut them down to make half doors. I've drawn a hundred different profiles and am not satisfied. Anyone have any suggestions, photos, tips, or advice?

Don't cut them. Are you sure they can't be salvaged? You should create your own door and sell or give away your raggedy doors before you start choppin em up. Or just say the hell with it and dig in. My Dad took some steel tubing and welded it in the shape of a half door with hooks to slide in to the door hinge holes and wrapped vinyl around the metal. It was a light weight, enexpensive, easy solution. But you might have something else in mind.

Just take out the top window frame, and voila, you have half doors, that can be easily resurected into full doors.

I want to be able to lean farther out for visibility. The stock doors are to tall. I want to come down to tub height. I dont want tube door or vinyl because where I live there is to much brush and tree danger. I already have a decent scar on my leg from a stick through the vinyl. I saw a BJ42 pic with custom halfdoors somewhere but can't find it now.
Don't get your feelings hurt by me cutting up this set of doors. They were on a 40 that burned to the ground and then got left outside for ten years. They are so wasted that the only way to salvage them would be to do some thing radical like this. I'll save the window frames in case someone rolls over and crumples one.

I can send you some digis...but not till tuesday, of my steel half doors in progress. The window frames lifted out, the cuts have been made, the cap plate (did out of stainless bar stock) is cut and bent up. Would have been done by now except for that roll over incident. :mad: :mad: :mad: Also, look in the tech write ups. I think there are a few in there.

[move]Cool[/move]
Jack Rice did a wonderful job! I am going to do a set too, but not quite so fancy. I'll save my window frames too.
I bought these doors just for this purpose. :D

Todd, Looking forward to seeing those pics.

78, wanna let me practice on yours first. :D hehehe

Jack did a nice job. Those look sweet. I have older style doors so they'll be a little different than that. I like the rolled edge. Any more ideas out there?

Let's do it!
I want to profile mine to match my Kayline half doors, so I can use the soft upper with my new hard lower. I allready had a tree top poke through my soft lower door. :(

Those half doors doors Jack Rice did look like Toyota sold them with the rig. From the picture they look awesome. That whole operation must have taken some patience especially the adding of the soft half to the top.

Hammerhead,

Send me your email address and I'll send you the pics of my half doors in progress...they are the old style doors.

Toddslater,
Here's my email, I'm right there in the making of half doors, but had to fix some rust in the lower halves first.
Aun2th@aol.com
Ed Long

yeah,
all that stuff that jack does is incredible. have y'all looked at his truggy pics lately? just plain crazy.

Well just f me up the ass, I am traveling for work and brought along the disk with the pics that I shot of my half's in progress with the Mavica........first off my POS company in their ever retatrded wisdom etc :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2:....and believe me I could go on and on....the "best" connection I can get thanks to the above is 50,000 bits/second. Did I mention :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: Roughly equate this to the old 9800 baud modem and you get the idea. Next this f'in lap top eats the floppy....oh sure two jpegs transfer from the A drive to my C before it completely does not recognize anything is in the A drive....asks if I'd like to format the disk....f'in POS. Now that I've vented ....pics will be floated out on Friday when I return home from Alabama and punt this POS lap top.

...and I thought I had a bad day rolling an NP435 on my hand. I feel better now. Sorry 'bout yer luck dude. My PC gives me fits once in a while but I figure it's usually my own fault for not learning sooner how to run these things. My 7 year old daughter is pretty good at making me look retarded with comments like "move over Dad, I'll fix it for you".

TPI had some for sale a while back. Might call bob and see if you can get PICs. His were late model doors cut at double angles to match the ht. of the tub. Big welded cover on top.

I've got 4 lap tops...the only problem I have is with the corp devo version that I am burdened with whilst on bidness. Truely an IS dept that can't find their ass with either hand...or a guide dog....with a map. Don't get me started. And yes I work for one of the top 4 oil and top 5 chemicals in the world as we know it. Again don't get me started. Parlez vous Francias s'vous plais.

Oh and Hammerhead, I can still quite deftly outwit both my 14 and 11 year old daughters with the box. I can put s*** where they will never find them...well at least the 14 yr old....the 11 yr old takes more after me...relentless engineer in the making.

Hammerhead, atoyot, and degnol,

I just emailed the pics to you. Since I cannot direct upload photos the way I used to here its the best I can do. If any of you can upload the pics here...feel free to do so. No copyright issues here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom