Steel commercial building kits (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

UnderDawg

Wannabe welder
Threads
Hey guys looking to get a building put up here in the next few weeks. Who makes the best kits? I been looking all over the net and it seems most offer the same stuff for the most part with subtle differences. Any recommendations?

Butler is the Best around these parts, but you will pay close to double for it. I talked to an erector on the last job we did and he told me there were some good ones but I can't remember any of them right now.

I've put a few different brands up and PBS out of Oregon has been the best... but I can't say the same for there recommend erector.

I have mentioned previously, I researched this prior to my purchase. Steel building kits are fairly straight forward.
The biggest difference is total cost out the door as well as customer support.

I found many steel building companies are "middle man" type of operations. Very helpful up to the point of receiving your hard erred money, then nickel and dimming you to the end. Stay away from this kind of operation!

I decided with Mueller, the sales guy was the same though out the entire process from design, fabrication, delivery and quick to answer any questions during install. The Mueller steel building came with all necessary trim pieces.
Be advised all door openings (skins) and door trim requires field cutting and or notching for installation.

My overall experience was better than great. Again, do your research and stay away from the middle man.

Good Luck

PN

Metallic and many others are subsidiaries of NCI.

For the most part, Metallic, Butler, or similar will not be best to service the end user, since their business models don't cater to.

Can they?

You bet, but you're paying for an aspect of their service that you won't reap benefit of if a single project consumer, as they're better to service commercial accounts.

Having no more than hit send to an email to another Mudder, who is not but a state away I couldn't assist feasibly and complaining that I haven't found a way to be competitive, supplying product across the US, can't offer much beyond advice on sourcing, from a national perspective.

NCI was the fourth largest consumer of domestic steel in the US, up to the crash, and gobbled up every profitable business in many sectors of the industry.

The only company I know that they directly market to the end consumer is Heritage Building Systems, which operates as a marketing entity only, with NCI using it's vast network of facilities to produce and deliver, nationwide.

It'd be whom I'd suggest....since a vested interest in NCI and a commercial account of a subsidiary, MBCI, since 1993.

That said, if I'm putting up anything from any major producer of NCI's, or any of the normal brand names, I add 50% to the base framing labor expense and 25% to the balance, because they're labor intensive.

As I explained to the Mudder in email aforementioned, I can't, nor want to compete in the end user market, because the added steps we take in fabrication do cost a lot of money, that they may not appreciate the labor and finished product quality that result, whereas contractors and customers we've a relationship with DO, because of the cost savings and finished product quality.

Gladly offer any support on sourcing, verbiage, or any other aspect to ensure the most economical configuration, though.

Would even run the numbers and explain the differences, but, honestly, side by side, in 100 years mine and any given competitor's product may still be standing, since the nomenclature pre-engineered carries stringent guidelines ensuring a minimum standard.

Now, if you're wanting to jump in the business of erecting for a profit, and altogether different circumstance that could easily benefit from services we provide, and in 100 years, you'll have profited a higher gross, merely in time saved erecting.

Notes:

1. Not pimping my company.

2. At 6,000 SF and up, can compete nationally.

3. Can be very competitive, nationwide, on self storage facilities, and have years of building, designing, owning, managing, buying and selling.

4. Mueller fills a gap between the larger, contractor based companies and the smaller fabricators.

5. Google metal building erectors specific to your geographical area and discuss your project with them. Many act as I do, like a partial GC, where permitting assistance is provided, foundations are an option, and most profit from the erection process that a DIYer would be hard pressed to beat, if they're appreciate of the "time is money" mentality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom