Steam Clean Seats? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I have a trying to get the cruiser I bought up to speed. It has cloth seats and that was my only upset. I wanted cloth, but they are dirt, with marks and the such. I have a steam cleaner for the house and I am wondering if anyone has tried this? The seats are not power. I am trying to figure out the best way to get them clean again. THe bottom cushion needs to be replaced, but the cloth and the rest are perfect (no tears or wear marks.)

I bought a 60 with cloth seats and they were terrrible..

I bought a Bisel Green Machine that pushes hot soapy water into the seat and sucks out the solution and the dirt,
Then you push rinse water into the seat and suck it out.
Repeat over and over again then let dry in open air with doors open, so it does not mold or mildew.
After it dries completely do it again unit the water being sucked out and returned to the GM's holding tank is clean and clear.
You can do the headliner and door panels the same way.
It is messy but my sixty smells and looks like a very new used truck and it is a 1990......................gm

Our 92 had a smoker for an owner at one point, the vehicle wasnt bad but you could kind of tell there was a smoker in it at one point and it did have a bit of dirt in the cloth.
Anyways i brought the vehicle to the shop at work, hooked up the pressure washer to warm water, pulled the drain plugs, parked it on a ramp and blasted out the interior. I slowly worked the stale water out of the seats with the pressure washer and sprayed the headliner from a bit of a distance so as not to tear it. It sounds a little strange but it worked really well. The vehicle did need to dry out for a few days, preferably in a warm climate with doors open if you can. A good fan would help alot if you do this.

Last edited:
I'm taking mine to a detailing place this week so they can clean seats and carpet. Also they will get of whatever roaches and other bugs were left from the PO.

On the lot, when we'd take in a car that looked like someone had been living in it for a few years, we actually removed the seats from the car, soaked them with a hose and scrubbed them with Simple Green and a scrub brush, hosed them off, let them drain and dry.

And if the seats are that dirty, usually the carpet is too. So we'd scrub the carpet, usually after removing it. I'd find enough fossilized french fries (and dried ketchup and god-knows-what) in some of these cars to fill two large orders.

You need warm weather or heated building to do this. It will take a couple days for the seats to dry. Greatly hasten the drying process by using a wet/dry vac to suck out most of the water. Ditto with the carpets.

Most of the time, they would turn out great. Sometimes a stubborn stain wouldn't come out, but usually they did.

You can find stronger cleaning products than Simple Green at detail supply stores, they sell to dealers and detail shops. One of our lot boys preferred a degreaser solution for general cleaning, worked quite well, but Simple Green does a good job too.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice guys. I am flipping with take the seat out and just spray it down vs steam clean. The steam cleaner worked like a champ on the tailgate carpet so who knows.

Thanks for the advice guys. I am flipping with take the seat out and just spray it down vs steam clean. The steam cleaner worked like a champ on the tailgate carpet so who knows.

Heck, take them out AND steam clean them!

:D:D

The only reason we pulled the seats is when they were so dirty it was totally disgusting. And to get access to the carpet because it was also disgusting and had bad smells. So that allowed for a total clean, with no odors remaining.

If yours isn't as bad, and you can get into the crevices with the steam machine, give it a go!

BTW, what steam machine do you have?

Dana

Heck, take them out AND steam clean them!

:D:D

The only reason we pulled the seats is when they were so dirty it was totally disgusting. And to get access to the carpet because it was also disgusting and had bad smells. So that allowed for a total clean, with no odors remaining.

Dana

I dont wanna hijack, but this is on my to-do list for spring, just wondering whether to take the carpet right out ? or do a steam clean with seats removed and let it air dry in the vehicle, driving around on a deckchair until the interior dries again :Dwe have a "vapour Dragon" at work i can borrow. what do the experts say ?

I dont wanna hijack, but this is on my to-do list for spring, just wondering whether to take the carpet right out ? or do a steam clean with seats removed and let it air dry in the vehicle, driving around on a deckchair until the interior dries again :Dwe have a "vapour Dragon" at work i can borrow. what do the experts say ?

Well, I'm a fan of the "do it once, do it right" club. I'm not the sort to leave spills and old food laying around in my cruiser, but if I just bought one that was like that, I'll yank the seats, pull the carpet, vacuum and clean the shell of the vehicle, clean all the upholstery, let it all dry, and then re-assemble. It makes a huge difference if the car is really dirty to begin with.

I ran a car dealership for 30 years and I can think of only about 5 or 6 cars we had to do this with. These cars were so dirty, it was incredible.

Obviously, sometimes the carpet wouldn't clean up, and we just fitted new. But usually it would, you'd be amazed. As long as it wasn't worn out.

So to answer your question, it's a matter of degree.

BTW, hosing and scrubbing works on door panels too, without removal.

Heck, one car was so filthy, I gutted the interior, and literally hosed down the headliner and scrubbed that too. It came clean! I used plastic to cover the dash. I think I may have been wearing my swim trunks when I did that one!

:doh:

Dana

The rug doctor mighty pro that you can rent just about anywhere has a great upholstery att or you could shell out the 800 bucks and then rent it out to your cruiser friends. I am with those who pull seats, to get underneath and all the carpet If you want it clean might as well do it right the 1st time also with seats out you can get better angle and make different passes on the tougher stains.

i have pulled the front passenger seat twice to clean, and 2nd row a few times, but never all at once...i really am looking forward to it though, that is the only real jealousy i have with new cars is the carpet that looks and smells new.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom