Stationary trainer recommendations? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

nor_cal_cyclist

GOLD Star
Threads
Greetings -

Unfortunately, I destroyed my knee skiing a few weeks ago, and was told an indoor trainer would be allowed as part of my post-op rehab. Typically I ride all year, so haven't really looked at them recently. Any comments/recommendations for a nice direct drive trainer I can mount one of my bikes into? Seems like app driven virtual rides are pretty common, but that would be a "must have" feature if it's even one of the options.

So...Saris/CycleOps, Kickr, or Tacx?

Thanks.

I've got a bunch of friends with the Wahoo Kickr. Pricey but a solid, well performing piece.

Cycle ops user, I like it and think It’s smooth.

78765DF3-1CBE-4CE8-81BA-2DAED2E90B2F.jpeg

2C847630-0E1A-45DA-ACCA-E75C89A728BE.jpeg

F9F34132-482C-45F3-A799-E9922AA2BCA5.jpeg

FD269F64-40DB-41B1-B6EC-7D3217794412.jpeg

I'd have to agree the Kickr as well, get one with Bluetooth in it for connection to 3rd party apps. I've had good use with the JetBlack and Lemond direct drive on bikes with thru-axles/QR as well as various speed drivetrains.

Sidenote:
I've got the Stages Sb20 as a stand-alone indoor bike for myself. Got tired of putting the main bike into the trainer. I have the feedback sprint that is fork mounted with drum rollers off the back, and had to swap out the gravel tire for a trainer specific tire to keep the noise down. Ended up with a trainer specific wheel to swap out.

Best of luck in your search and with the recovery.

Have you tried a set of rollers? Once you master them (it doesn't take long) you'll find you don't want to use other trainers. Rollers make all of your smaller balance-related muscles fire on every workout. They're also cheap. I bought mine at a garage sale for $20.

Rollers are NOT a good option for someone trying to rehab a blown knee post surgery.

I ended up getting a kicker for the first couple months I was allowed to lightly spin. Got my legs moving and was able to focus on the leg motion as opposed to balance or worrying about getting on/off the bike or stopping (rode my bike right into a big screen TV back in the 90's after accidentally hitting my rear brake). I was also on a familiar bike and just raised the seat to minimize the flex needed to complete a revolution on the bike (gotta love the flat pedals too). As I gained flexibility, I lowered my seat to normal position. The Kickr also let me add some scenery (via ROUVY and Zwift) as well as light rolling hills as I progressed.

That was back in April/May. Back on the road by 2nd week in June, and managed to get a decent year, all things considered.

IMG_4506.jpg

Nice job making quick work of that recovery.

Proper training set-up posted there as well. Love the Calfee too, their webbed carbon stuff always caught my eye in the shops. How many miles you got on the bamboo?

I've had the bamboo since 2014 - currently have just under 5k on it. It's more of a fun/group ride - damn thing won't stay in tune running cabled controls due to humidity variations changing the bike (shrink/swell). Thinking about adding SRAM wireless to it, as the bike has a unique feel - compared to carbon fiber or titanium - and ALWAYS get comments. I'm an admitted "bike whore" and have a nice stable of road bikes, so I switch around constantly. Typical year nets 6-8k with lots of climbing - depending on how much snow falls at Mt Shasta and in the Tahoe Basin (also LOVE skiing - as evident by the injury requiring the setup).

Rad! We have a bamboo/wood builder here in Portland for a while. Renovo, I think, they may have ceased operations a few years back.

Full support for SRAM wireless, worked on in countless times in the shop. I run Shimano Di2 on most of my own builds. You'd be hard-pressed to not get that setup in ~25mins, the install/adjustment is very easy especially considering you're on rim brakes on this frameset. Add a few more 15min increments for hydro.

Yeah, being in your neck of the woods, you've gotta be a billygoat for the climbs. My preferred terrain as well, you gotta earn those descents somehow.

Renovo closed in early 2018 as I recall. I saw one of their bikes at DeathRide in 2018 and tried to order a frame when I got home. Unfortunately they had already closed shop.

I have had the cycle ops hammer and the wahoo kickr. They are both solid. The wahoo seems a bit smoother. I added the climb to the wahoo. Makes the virtual ride experience on Zwift more enjoyable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom