States where a 4bt would be allowed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The Phoenician

**** your sensitivity!
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
This may be premature but I might be taking a government job in the next few months. I need to know how to rank my location preferences. My question is this, what states have the easiest inspections and would allow me to keep my 62 4bt ?

Here's what I have so far:

ALABAMA: No inspections

ARIZONA: is cool with tons of places to play.(waiting on definition of "cool")

KOMIFORNIA: too expensive and too much traffic. but here are the rules:
Engine changes are legal as long as the following requirements are met to ensure that the change does not increase pollution from the vehicle:
  • The engine must be the same year or newer than the vehicle.

• The engine must be from the same type of vehicle (passenger car, light-duty truck, heavy-duty truck, etc.) based on gross vehicle weight.

• If the vehicle is a California certified vehicle then the engine must also be a California certified engine.

• All emissions control equipment must remain on the installed engine.
FLORIDA: No inspection and no place to wheel

GEORGIA: No inspection outside of Atlanta and surrounding area

ILLINOIS: Illinois does not require smog checks for vehicles pre 1996 (OBDII). You can do whatever you want to the engine.

INDIANA: No smog or inspections.

KANSAS: No inspection, no place to wheel.

MONTANA: There is no required smog check (emissions testing) in Montana.

An annual safety inspection for vehicle registration is also not required. Maintaining your vehicle is your responsibility

NEW HAMPSHIRE: too cold,salt on road, rust receipe but no emissions only safety inspection

NORTH CAROLINA: if your truck is titled /registered as a diesel already and you can transfer the title / registration into NC as a diesel, you're golden. All you have to pass for a 62 is the safety inspection, which includes brakes, lights, horn, etc.

If you transfer your truck with a gas title / registration into NC, you get one free year, in which you will need to go through a not-so-difficult process to get the registration changed over to diesel. I can give you all the forms and details if needed.

OHIO: No emissions or inspections and two hours from wheeling.

OREGON: Emissions only in Portland and Medford, but don't have room for one more

TEXAS: Safety inspection only, no emissions test

UTAH: Yearly smoke test and conversion title

WASHINGTON: most counties have no emissions testing, and large parts of King County (the big one that Seattle is in) don't have testing, and even in the areas WITH testing, the following are exempt:
- 25+ years old
- Diesel under 6000 lbs GVWR and older than 2007 (and even an 80-series has a rating under 6000 pounds)

WYOMING: WY, NO Emissions or vehicle inspections and NO state income tax as well.

Feel free to let me know if I miss anything as I compile the list.

Last edited:
Alabama: No form of vehicle inspection at all, can't get much easier than that.

I loved Alabama for that (and kind of hated it too).

I'm pretty sure you can get a title converted here in Utah to be a diesel title. They inspect once before changing the fuel type on your title, then just smoke tests yearly after that for emissions.

georgia, not rep. of, outside of the attainment area, which is around atlanta.

florida, no questions asked on a diesel from belgium.

Florida is really easy to get away with anything besides lighting, no inspections, but there is VERY little off-road terrain here.

California requires an engine swap to be of equal year or newer than the vehicle and the newer engine must retain its emissions equipment. Engine changes (including to diesels) are allowed if they meet the following criteria:

Engine changes are legal as long as the following requirements are met to ensure that the change does not increase pollution from the vehicle:
  • The engine must be the same year or newer than the vehicle.

• The engine must be from the same type of vehicle (passenger car, light-duty truck, heavy-duty truck, etc.) based on gross vehicle weight.

• If the vehicle is a California certified vehicle then the engine must also be a California certified engine.

• All emissions control equipment must remain on the installed engine.

• Vehicles converted to 100% electric drive, with all power supplied by on-board batteries are considered in compliance with the engine change requirements. All fuel system components must be removed prior to inspection. For additional information contact the ARB helpline at (800) 242-4450
I don't know if the 4BT was used in anything that would be in the same class as a land cruiser but if so I can be swapped legally in CA.

Frank

NH - safety inspection only. No smog, no title checks, no insurance requirements, no sales tax, no state income tax, shall issue concealed carry, lots of rocks, trees, and bogs but most of it is on private property. Also a LOT of salt 6 months out if the year.

KS - VIN check only. No place to wheel.

AZDEQ is cool. Super offroad playgrounds here too!
AZDEQ is Arizona? what's DEQ, and by cool you mean no inpections? You kids and your lingoo_O

Ohio. No emissions (at least where I live) no inspections. Decent wheeling within 2 hours of cincy. Great wheeling anywhere from 4 to 9 hours away

AZDEQ is Arizona? what's DEQ, and by cool you mean no inpections? You kids and your lingoo_O

Yes AZ, Department of Environmental Quality. They administer emissions testing in phoenix and are in charge of the "rules" for swaps. You can also get "collector car insurance" here and avoid testing altogether. There are a number of work arounds, but you shouldnt have to... swaps happen all the time here.

d.

Not contesting that Ca is expensive to live in but engine change rules are simple and the engine costs what it costs. A trip to the BAR is 9 bucks to get a new underhood engine sticker and with a diesel swap you no longer have to get it smogged thereafter.

In the interest of keeping your thread informative why not say something like, "Ca: swap is legal see engine change guidelines below or at ARB website." What is too expensive and/or complicated is subjective and up to the individual.

Frank

In Colorado there is no inspection or testing as long as you are outside of the following counties:

Boulder, Broomfield, Denver, Douglas, Jefferson, Adams, Arapahoe, El Paso and Larimer, City of Greely (the rest of Weld county is OK)

That includes the majority of the population centers of Colorado, but if you're in the mountains or on the western slope, you should be fine (for now). I hear that they are trying to go statewide eventually, but there isn't enough money for it in rural counties. If you've got an address in a non-emissions county (vacation rental, family, buddy, etc), you can also register your vehicle somewhere that doesn't test even if you don't live there (your buddy will have to collect your renewal stickers for you when they come in the mail). Not legal, but I've done it a few times with no trouble.

Last edited:
North Carolina - if your truck is titled /registered as a diesel already and you can transfer the title / registration into NC as a diesel, you're golden. All you have to pass for a 62 is the safety inspection, which includes brakes, lights, horn, etc.

If you transfer your truck with a gas title / registration into NC, you get one free year, in which you will need to go through a not-so-difficult process to get the registration changed over to diesel. I can give you all the forms and details if needed.

I live in El Paso County, Colorado and there are no more emissions or inspections- another upside is that there is an incredible amount of Government work too. What kind of work do you do?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom