State Trust Land Permits - YES! You May Need One!! (7 Viewers)

Do you plan to get (*or already have) a valid Arizona State Trust Land Permit?

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Based on my recent experiences with Maricopa County Sheriff's Officers (MCSO) and Table Mesa Rd in the North Valley, I'm including some critical information here for Mudders who may find themselves on- or crossing- State Trust Lands in Arizona along with links to mail in a Permit request. When you see this sign - BE AWARE, you may need a permit to enter!

2489298-1A._State_Trust_Land_Permit_required.JPG

Some history of State Trust Lands: "The Arizona State Land Department manages approximately 9.2 million acres of State Trust lands within Arizona. These lands were granted to the State under the provisions of the federal Enabling Act that provided for Arizona’s statehood in 1912. These lands are held in trust and managed for the sole purpose of generating revenues for the 13 State Trust land beneficiaries, the largest of which is Arizona’s K-12 education. In FY 2013 Trust land revenues exceeded $318,000,000."

Why a Permit may be important to you: A lot of contention and misinformation is out there by Bureau of Land Management (BLM), AZ State Land Department, AZ Game & Fish Dept and law enforcement agencies regarding what constitutes trespassing on State Trust Land. Some argue that crossing State Trust Land doesn't require a permit - but that wasn't my experience (see link below). Others claim that a valid AZ Hunting License is proof of your 'written permission' to use State Trust Lands, but only for actual hunting purposes, not including target shooting. Members of our club have met personally with State Trust Land employees to discuss the specifics and come away with more questions than answers...

The case for getting a $15 individual or $20 family permit: Having an Annual AZ State Trust Land Permit in your vehicle (8.5"x11" printed permit with signature & valid date stamp, along with pink rear-view mirror Hang Tag) alleviates any concerns that you are on State Trust Land illegally. I think it's cheap insurance to pay the $15 individual or $20 for family (2 adults and any minors less than 18y/o in a single vehicle) in order to avoid the aggravation and frustration - not to mention legal ramifications - of a Criminal Trespassing charge on State Trust Land. This is considered a 'Criminal' Misdemeanor, as the State wants to be sure you show up in court to address the ticket. Mailing in the Permit Request along with your check gets a valid permit returned in 3-4 days. Good for a year, the Permit gives you an affirmative defense against a Trespassing charge assuming no other illegal behaviors were witnessed by the officers that stop you.

Get the State Trust Land Permit at the Arizona State Land Department homepage (linked, in case they change their pages or the permits): http://www.azland.gov/

Link to my ordeal of getting ticketed for NOT having a State Trust Land Permit: https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/ma...1302-b-trespass-w-o-trust-land-permit.806967/

I've become a proponent for the State Trust Land Permit process for the club - if only that I want to avoid any of you having to go through what I did. Please consider your options and make a decision that matches your risk preferences, but make that from an informed decision after weighing the factors and risks involved. I hope this information is helpful, and hope to see you all on the trail!

I don't hunt or fish, so I get a permit every year.

I camp on State Trust Land several times per year but have never been challenged by the popo.

The only year I didn't get a permit was the year they tried to extort us for what the permit is actually worth (I think $75 per year). The state claimed the permit program was losing money, so they charged an exorbitant price to cover their losses, and so many people boycotted the permit they lost even more money so they changed it back to $15/$20. I missed a few runs and had to camp in the national forest that year, so I was really glad they dropped the permit price back down.

$15 doesn't even buy enough gas to fill my jerry can, so I don't mind helping the state out - it is the best entertainment value to be had!

Last edited:
Gracias Thomas for advocating State Permits--I bought mine the day I read your thread.

Thanks senor Phil for providing additional info.

Zona

Graco - my spEnglish for Thanks, Thomas. Especially for that tidbit about self incrimination -- its was a 'doh' moment for me who has done exactly that in past hearings.

Is there anywhere you can just walk in and buy a permit like the Tonto Passes?

Last edited:
Ia there anywhere you can just walk in and buy a permit like the Tonto Passes?

the only walk-in office for State Trust Land Permits is the state land department in downtown Phoenix on W. Adams.

they have no plans on making it an on-line process that could use PayPal or somesuch - the dude I asked about that said "this is the state land department, you know ?" :rolleyes:

Ia there anywhere you can just walk in and buy a permit like the Tonto Passes?

Downtown Phoenix, easy to find and good free parking. By far easier for me than email - and to see the collection of signs that are in use is invaluable. Pay the $20 and walk out license in hand.

Others claim that a valid AZ Hunting License is proof of your 'written permission' to use State Trust Lands, but only for actual hunting purposes, not including target shooting.

That is absolutely correct from what I've been told, but several officers have mentioned all that is required is two working fingers actively hunting lizards, snakes, etc. and a valid hunting license. Never had an issue, I think they are actively looking for those who don't support conservation.

$37 for either a hunt or fishing license. $57 for the combo, and can be purchased online.

www.azgfd.gov

My old one expired last week, went in and had a new one in 5 minutes. 1616 W Adams, parking is free and just north of the building entrance. I wish all govt transactions were this easy.

My old one expired last week, went in and had a new one in 5 minutes. 1616 W Adams, parking is free and just north of the building entrance. I wish all govt transactions were this easy.
Permit renewal timeline:
Monday - I wanna go Land Cruising next weekend - OH CRTAP MY PERMIT EXPIRED LAST MONTH!
Tuesday - Mailed off permit application and check to Phoenix
Wednesday - Nothing expected, nothing received
Thursday - :bounce2::bounce:PERMIT IN THE PO BOX! :bounce::bounce2: The permit office is without a doubt the most efficient one in Arizona!

Thanks Mary Anne!:cheers:
Scan0002.jpg

A 3 year, 10 year, or lifetime option would be something I'd think a lot of folks would be on board with.

For the state trust land issue Im still curious how the hunting permit applies. Does it just depend on what you say to the officer when pulled over? From the way I am reading it you need to be actively hunting, and to be legally hunting in Arizona you cannot hunt from a vehicle.

http://www.azgfd.net/hunting/hunting/use-your-ohv-responsibly-during-hunting-season/2006/08/13/

"In Arizona, it is illegal to hunt from any vehicle. OHV rules and laws designate:

• No one may use a motor vehicle to assist in the taking of wildlife (except as permitted under the Challenged Hunter Access Mobility Permit, A.R.S. 17-301B).
  • An off-highway vehicle may only be used as a means of travel and NOT as a hunting aid.
  • Cross-country travel is not allowed in most areas, unless you are picking up legally taken big game. (Some areas do not allow even that.)"

You have to say your traveling to your hunting spot which is on state land. Your not expected to walk twenty miles to get to where you want to hunt. Having a hunting license and carry a 22 you can say your going to hunt rabbits further on.

Personally I don't understand why you have to have a permit to travel on land the people of AZ own. I can understand paying fee for facilities that require maintenance and upkeep. Of course we live in a state where politicians sell the capital building along with others to balance a single year budget. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/09/jan-brewer-arizona-state-capitol_n_1195200.html :meh:

If you are truly hunting that is one part if you are using to avoid buying the $20 permit shame on you. Either way I support SLT and Tonto annual permit purchase as a hunter or not.

Thats kind of what I was getting at. I have always heard from other clubs and people that if you have a hunting license you are covered for STL access. From the way I read the law that doesn't seem to be the case especially if you are in a group of 4x4's. It might fly if you are wheeling alone and have hunting rifles in the car. In LongDuck's case I don't think a hunting license would have saved him either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom