State Farm won't insure the Unimog

treerootCO

Where are my keys?!
SILVER Star

Matt picked up the new tanks for the Mog and we were hoping to get it weighed so the County will allow him to title it. Now, his own mother who works at State Farm won't insure it. :D

I think it is funny....so many roadblocks you just can't wait to hear what they come up with next.

brian

SILVER Star

i added a 40 on my policy with erie. they gave me a bit of a run around, just by saying that IF i did'nt ALREADY have a 40 on my policy, they would not have insured the 71/40 that i added.

when asked why, they replied
1. it's SO old.
2. it's a dangerous vehicle.
awfull nice of them to be looking out for my safty. :rolleyes:

i might add that i have a very clean record.

Erie added my 40 two years ago. They wanted some documentation on what other 40's of the same year were selling for so I sent them ads with ranges of $4k to $20k. They then sent someone to appraise mine and got it insured for $14k.

Depends how much you drive the Cruiser. If it's that old, and you don't drive it much, why not get classic or antique insurance? I insured a 1969 Chevelle this way and the total coverage was $76.00 per year for FULL COVERAGE. I insure my Mazda this way too and the total premium is 1/8 what it was with a regular insurance company.

Insurance companies charge based on their expected risk. They expect that a person still driving anything from 1971 is probably high risk (all based on stereotypes I am sure). But they assume you don't have a good job, aren't educated and probably drink too much and also that the vehicle has lived its useful life and now is a hazard to the owner and others on the road. (At least this is the way it was described to me my insurance agent when I asked why they raised my insurance on my 1985 Ford Ranger once it reached 15 years old)

Unless you are a collector or enthusiast, and then driving anything made in 1971 for pleasure or recreational use is acceptable. Go figure.

I'm tired of fighting the system. I just try to play by the rules as best I can.

Rice

SILVER Star

Not to hijack but I went into State Farm (who has my car policy) and asked them about insuring a small farm I have.

They don't insure Farms!

Rice said:
Not to hijack but I went into State Farm (who has my car policy) and asked them about insuring a small farm I have.

They don't insure Farms!
It's technically not a farm unless you are drawing income from agricultural or livestock activities. If you make no income from the property, it's technically a rural property with a nice garden. If it's a farm, they have to insure crop loss, equipment, etc. If it's a rural property without income, then you have a standard residential property in a rural area. See the difference? Try that approach. You may have to show them your 1040 or 1099 tax forms to prove that no property related income exists at which point you should be insurable.
"Oops, did I say farm? That's what my wife calls her nice garden.... We actually have a basic non-income rural property with a garden. No get to it and insure us, comprende?"
We get this all the time in the loan business. I do residential property. Farms are considered commercial. It's all in the approach. You have to be legit though and show that documentation. Good luck.

Whats the GVW on the Mog? The standard auto policy usually excludes vehicles over 10k GVW.
Either that or they have no clue what it is so they said "nyet."

I tried to get a quote from a classic/antique vehicle insurance firm first. First they asked about any modifications. They stopped when I told them it was lifted. Too much / too many mods and they said they would not insure it. Problem with not telling them it had any mods is that if it is totaled I want that stuff paid for.

It must all depend on the agent, cuz my State Farm man called me last year when my '66 became an antique. He set me up with the antique vehicle coverage with an agreed value of $20K replacement cost. This basically took me from liability only at $180 a year to full coverage on the agreed value at $89 a year. I took it to him for photos just the way it looks in the avitar. No mileage limits or anything.

I think I'd find another agent, relative or not. Of course you didn't mention how many, if any, claims and/or tickets....that may influence them as well.

treerootCO

Where are my keys?!
SILVER Star

I called Farmer's and they quoted me 170 a year for the Mog. Problem is that Matt's mom is his insurance agent. Hope I don't jinx myself but I have never been in an acident and I haven't had a speeding ticket since 99.

You may run into problems with the largers insurers whose automated systems don't have a Mog in the drop down boxes.....

The weight thing will defintely come into play as well as mentioned earlier.....

Get Matt's mom to kick up a good explanation, and verify it with her underwriters.....

I'd be interested in the reason.....

Hope Mogs aren't an issue. I've been kicking around selling the dump cargo trailer and getting a mog instead. Getting tougher to get a good deal on them though.

Top Bottom