Startup Mystery in the Upstate (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I copy from the Upstate Cruisers thread for the wide wisdom of the Olde Northerns

My FJ Cruiser has developed an alarming intermittent starting failure.
It is a manual, a 6 speed. I mention this because it may (or may not) be pertinent.
I've recently recovered Bonnie from three years foster custody in NC. She was doing some Burning Man work and being cared for by a friend while I was basking in the Adriatic mostly.
So I guess she's been back for a month. During that time I have had three instances of not turning over when I tried to start it.
First time after I left it for a while it cranked. Meanwhile I replaced a the old battery.
Another time I stalled it backing up and it wouldn't restart. The next day I went over and stirred the gears a bit* and she cranked right up.
Last night it wouldn't start. Stirring the gears didn't work.
This morning more gear stirring and tried and she started right up.
* So I'm thinking some interlock might be out of adjustment or faulty. In my absence the FJ got a new clutch and some transfer case work.
. . . Or possibly some relay in the starter circuit is intermittently failing
I HATE Intermittent Problems
Any ideas, experience or consolation would be appreciated.

Does clutch have to be depressed for car to start?

Maybe they buggered up that sensor (I say this having zero knowledge of FJCs) when doing the clutch work??

Does clutch have to be depressed for car to start?

Maybe they buggered up that sensor (I say this having zero knowledge of FJCs) when doing the clutch work??

Yes the car won't start unless the clutch is depressed. That is a US requirement. FJs also have the standard Toyota "Clutch Start Cancel" which allows you to engage the starter while the clutch is engaged.
Both of these work fine when it starts. Neither work when it doesn't. This sensor seems innocent.
I guess I should look at it though. When I learn where it is.

NSS, either the switch on the pedal or the switch on the dash, seems to be the easy scapegoat. That's the first thing I thought of too.

What do you mean by "stirred the gears"?

Does anything at all happen when you crank the key when this happens? Starter click, gauges dim, anything?

Sounds like something got knocked loose. I would check all easy connections first.

I'd agree with Johnny and Jon. Some companies put those on the clutch MS but if you look at the firewall behind the clutch pedal you will most likely see the plunger for the switch poking through the firewall. Sample pic for reference. How soon did this start happening once you got her back?

clutch switch.jpg

I agree with suggestions above.

Will add, the stirring the gears thing has me thinking it has to be in N to start and that is the sensor I'd start with.

NSS, either the switch on the pedal or the switch on the dash, seems to be the easy scapegoat. That's the first thing I thought of too.

What do you mean by "stirred the gears"?

Does anything at all happen when you crank the key when this happens? Starter click, gauges dim, anything?

Yes the clutch disconnect was my first thought but then the Clutch Start Cancel switch should work, right?
Stirring the gears -- I meant just moving the linkages through the shift patterns. Probably not a factor because twice it worked twice it didn't.
No when I turn the key to start there is no reaction. And then another time it works, for twenty more times.
It's only actually happened three times. But the third time makes me hesitant to get far from home until I suss it out.

Yes the clutch disconnect was my first thought but then the Clutch Start Cancel switch should work, right?

Yes, if it's the switch on the pedal that's causing the problem. It is possible the clutch start cancel switch is broken.

Yes, if it's the switch on the pedal that's causing the problem. It is possible the clutch start cancel switch is broken.
No when the key works the Cancel switch on the dash board also works.
When the key doesn't, the switch doesn't either.
So it's beyond that I'd think

When the key "doesn't work" what exactly doesn't work? If you turn the key to accessory, do the lights on the dash come on or is the truck completely dead?

Two things. Install a dummy light on the starter solenoid to see if it’s getting the start signal at all. Could just be the starter. It’s also possible it could be a bad key fob. Have you tried a spare key? It’s possible it’s not reading the chip. Also dont have any other keys near the key fob while starting. Techstream or a good code reader should be able to figure this all out.

When the key "doesn't work" what exactly doesn't work? If you turn the key to accessory, do the lights on the dash come on or is the truck completely dead?
Oh sure the keys work in all repects just at times when you twist to the 'start' position nothing happens.

Two things. Install a dummy light on the starter solenoid to see if it’s getting the start signal at all. Could just be the starter. It’s also possible it could be a bad key fob. Have you tried a spare key? It’s possible it’s not reading the chip. Also dont have any other keys near the key fob while starting. Techstream or a good code reader should be able to figure this all out.
These all sound like things to try when it is defunct.
I think she needs a visit to Trollhole's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom