startup knock after 0w-40 change (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've never really had much of a startup rattle, but after switching to mobil1 0w-40 I am getting a noise at startup that lasts for a few seconds and sounds very much like a knock. Oil pressure and level is fine. It happens about 4 out of 5 starts and only last for 5 seconds or so. Does this sound like the typical startup rattle or is it something to be concered about?
thanks, aaron

I get it to, but mine did it before with 10w-30 so it didn't really change.

Cary

I'm going to 0W-40 at the next oil change (from 15W-50, thanks to Cary's in-depth research). If a rattle ensues, I think I will install an Accusump to pre-pressurize the engine on start-up. Has anybody ever used one to stop this apparently widespread rattle? BigMac

Cap,

I switched from 10-30 dino to 15-40 dino last oil change and have had no start-up rattle since,FWIW.

D-

Here's my question, I get the rattle to but does it really hurt anything or is it just annoying?

-Bryan

slight hijack: which oil for 3FE and 1FZ?

hmmmm?

I have been assured by my techy bud that works for father T that the "1FZ rattle" is considered normal by them and do not concern yourself about it. I tend to think he is at least somewhat right as they don't seem to be lying dead on every street corner. The belief is that it is in the gear drive up front. Personally, I think it is because of the oil weight spec'd in the US. (private opinion, no smoking gun facts to cite).

D-

The thinner oil at startup might let you hear the knock more. Then again I have no clue what I am talking about.

Its kind of funny, because I went to a local parts store/machine shop (really a knowledgeble shop) to buy the orings to do the mod and lower the startup idle. When he asked me why, I told him about the startup rattle bothering me. His comment "all Toyotas have a high start idle and rattle, don't worry about it, it doesn't hurt anything." I still did the mod. BTW, one o-ring didn't do a damm thing to the starting idle.

Cary

To throw another into the pile - FWIW - I use 10-40w dino, and no rattle.

R -

Not certain to whom Kurt is directing his question, but he is correct in that the size of the filter does factor in here.

I use the 20004 in mine...

R -

There is the BIG filter that Toyota and others use. I use the TRD one this time and the YZZB5. I don't know how big the 20004 is but the YZZB5 is small and the TRD is very small. Less time for the filter to fill up with oil. I used the BIG filter on the 22RE and it would rattle till the filter filled up. At least thats what I thought the rattle was from.

K -

The 20004 is roughly the same size as the YZZB5. Dan can pitch in with the comparative sizes / volumes. I'm sure he counts oil filter p/n's in his sleep like the rest of us count sheep (or whatever...) :D

R -

15600-25010, 15600-41010, 15601-33021, 15601-44011, 90915-20004, 90915-YZZB5, 90915-YZZA1, 08922-02011, 90915-YZZB9.....ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

I think the rattle is from lack of lubrication. I got it on my '01 honda last night for the first time upon startup after 3 wks of no use. Car dealers generally idle the engines of the cars on their lots once a week or so to keep the engine parts lubricated. Might be a good idea if your car isn't driven often.

[quote author=anderaa13 link=board=2;threadid=4967;start=msg38040#msg38040 date=1062726506]
I've never really had much of a startup rattle, but after switching to mobil1 0w-40 I am getting a noise at startup that lasts for a few seconds and sounds very much like a knock. Oil pressure and level is fine. It happens about 4 out of 5 starts and only last for 5 seconds or so. Does this sound like the typical startup rattle or is it something to be concered about?
thanks, aaron
[/quote]
This is what my buddy was probably refering to initially..The knocking in the engine after changing oil types. Would it hurt anything to try the M1 0W 40, and if it begins to knock when starting up, then just try another like what Cruiser Dan uses, or even just go back to the 10W 30 or 10W 40??? Also, I had been going to the same place to have my oil changed and I would just supply them with a Toyota filter (not sure what model, but whatever Toyota reccomends), and he told me that there is a "high pressure" filter by Ford that works good with my Cruiser since it is a higher compression engine than ordinary. He showed me the size difference and the Ford filter had a buldge on the bottom rather than a concave such as the Toyota filter. Perhaps I had a smaller size Toyota filter, but it is what the dealer parts department gave to me. When I go back to get my filters, which one should I more specifically ask for? I am just going to start doing my own oil changes at home because I am alot more attentive to what I am doing and I don't over fill/spill oil all over my motor and axle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom