Starts in 2nd gear. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A long while back, someone mentioned their 93/94 started in 2nd gear a few times. At that time, mine had also done it a couple times since it was new, with no particular reason (cold, hot, etc).

Well, mine's done it twice in the last month and I've figured out how to repeat it and I'm no longer concerned.

Today, I was waiting for a parking spot to open up (raining) and some bozo made a move for it while I was sitting in Park. I quickly rowed the shifter to D and rolled on the gas simultaneously. Got a sluggy feel and experimentally goosed the throttle a couple blips as I cut off the interloper - yep it's in 2nd gear. While still rolling, I downshifted into 1st and it obediently went into 1st, then I popped it back to D and drove off - leaving one very confused parking spot stealer. I was more interested in the truck at this moment. Everything was normal now, so I parked.

A few weeks ago, I was driving along and heard something in the tire, so I stopped along the road to check. Just a pebble. As I got in, traffic was coming, so I quickly slapped 'er in D and simultaneously hit the gas. 2nd gear takeoff.

With today's incident, I suddenly remembered the first time it ever happened back when the truck was fairly new and sure enough I was doing a fast 3 point turn on a narrow street and likely slapping it in gear.

So. My tranny has always been perfectly healthy and still is, but it appears you can hit upon *just* the right sequence of quickly slapping it into D and cracking the throttle *just* the right amount at *just* the right moment to cause it to engage 2nd from a standing start.

I know someone replaced a tranny solenoid over this issue (I think). So I just wanted to provide another data point that this may be what happens on that rare occurance. Some wrinkle in the tranny/engine interface you can drop into that will cause it to happen if you hit the perfect sequence. I tried a few times to do it, but could feel I was not getting the timing right, so it's a fairly precise little wrinkle to hit

DougM

Doug, I think you may be stretching the defnition of perfectly healthy. I would consider what your are describing to be a defect. It is interesting to know how to recreate the problem.

Yeah, I'd go with that. I guess what I'm saying is that if anyone else has managed to find this little glitch sequence - don't get too excited about it.

DougM

Douglas you have a jacked shift solenoid.........I fix U up good GI.......:D

Put in an email to Rodney - thanks for the link Rich! I honestly don't think it's a developing problem, just a glitch that's caused this to happen 3-4 times in 145,000 miles. At that, it's a specific Park-Drive lever movement with the exact timing of touching the gas that makes it happen vs an operating condition. The box has behaved perfectly otherwise despite some hard use. I don't take it easy on the truck when I tow, but it gets fresh fluid annually and the fluid has never so much as varied from bright clear red and normal bouquet (heh). I short change (twice a summer) it some summers if it's particularly hot, or we've done some difficult passes multiple times.

BTW Dan, I got a good belly laugh out of the GI thing. Over the years I've used that line in my best broken Japanese to make a lot of people laugh at Toyota but nobody's ever done it back to me. Heh.

DougM

Doug, It just occurred to me that Rodney used to post here under Extreme_Trans. He hasn't been around since last year. FYI, Slee sells some of his tranny stuff.

I thought (read somewhere) that Land Cruiseres were MEANT to start in second gear. Is this not so?

MH_Stevens said:
I thought (read somewhere) that Land Cruiseres were MEANT to start in second gear. Is this not so?

Your cruiser has the second gear start button down at the base of the shifter, the owners manual says it's meant to be used when taking off in sand etc... where you don't want the tires to spin when taking off....

Nick

This is the 93 with the Manly Transmission. 95-97 have the 2nd gear start button.

DougM

Just an update. Rodney was kind enough to respond quickly:

Hi Doug it's Rodney here from Wholesale Automatics.

I think that you are completely right. No computer was ever able to account
for every situation that it uncounted. Your A442F transmission is computer
controlled and in certain circumstances can be very briefly confused, this
is normally when what would normally be considered constant inputs into the
computer are suddenly changed half way through something that it was just
about to do and the transmissions ECU goes ahead with what it was doing but
also does what we call a draw back at the same time leaving the transmission
in a sort of a pause while it waits for new input and acts on then reacts on
them. This is normally down very quickly but is noticeable if your on the
ball. I have the exact same make, model and year as you and know what you
are talking about. This is nothing to worry about and infact I still believe
the A442F transmission and it's ECU system to be one of the all time best
set ups. I have never seen this ECU fail anywhere in the world and the A442F
transmission is one of the strongest and most durable units you could ever
have.

Hope this helps.
Kind Regards
Rodney
Wholesale Automatic Transmissions
Factory 1/58 Barry St
Bayswater
Victoria
Australia 3153
Phone: 011-613-97628004 Direct from the U.S.

Rodney here from Wholesale Automatics said:
... Your A442F transmission is computer controlled and in certain circumstances can be [ ... ] confused ...

I would say this pretty well confirms that the A343 is the superior transmission.

:D

-B-

IdahoDoug said:
Your A442F transmission is computer
controlled and in certain circumstances...can fail anywhere in the world...

B, you seem to have misquoted Rodney. ;)

You guys and your tranny envy...(roll eyes)...

landtank said:
Seems funny how a guy who makes his living repairing A442F trannies comments how indistructable they are.

He and the Maytag repairman probably crank call each other. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom