Starting up after all these years! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, I've been working on this vehicle for about ten years, off and on getting distracted by house, work and kids, and I'm finally at the point of firing it up again. I've read through many threads on the startup procedures, but want to make sure I get this right.

The engine is desmogged with Jim C rebuilt carb and the dizzy has been timed (prior to parking for the last few years). I never took the dizzy out so technically I suppose it's still lined up. I have primed the pistons with Marvel mystery oil and have cranked the engine over by hand and have turned it over with the plugs out. I have also poured fresh oil over the valve train, put fresh oil in and fresh fuel, new fuel filter and fuel lines. Plugs and wires were fairly new when I parked the truck.

Any other thoughts on this? At this point do I just spray some starting fluid into the top of the carb and let 'er rip?

Thanks! Can't wait to get her up and running again!
20200517_204602.jpg

Your plan is good. Make sure you have oil in the crankcase, h2o in the radiator. Starter fluid, turn the key and see what happens.

Just in case I’d also have a fire extinguisher at the ready as well as a damp towel to cover the carb in case of heavy backfires. Good luck.👍

Excellent, thanks! I'm assuming when you say to "check the oil in the crankcase," you mean check the dipstick? I did just put in fresh oil.

When I fired mine up I didnt even need the starting fluid, just a few pumps on throttle and choke. I’m assuming you drained, flushed tank an fuel lines. Let’r Rip!

Your plan is good. Make sure you have oil in the crankcase, h2o in the radiator. Starter fluid, turn the key and see what happens.

Just in case I’d also have a fire extinguisher at the ready as well as a damp towel to cover the carb in case of heavy backfires. Good luck.👍

Really want to be safe roll it out of garage. Had a old friend while trying to start his old Willys jeep he started a fire in his garage. Some how in the mayham kicked over a can of gas. Did manage to get it put out but his leg burned pretty bad. Can of gas was being used to prime the carburetor. I wasn't there and was probably twenty years ago but story has always stuck with me. Clutter his not your friend in emergency.

Really want to be safe roll it out of garage. Had a old friend while trying to start his old Willys jeep he started a fire in his garage. Some how in the mayham kicked over a can of gas. Did manage to get it put out but his leg burned pretty bad. Can of gas was being used to prime the carburetor. I wasn't there and was probably twenty years ago but story has always stuck with me. Clutter his not your friend in emergency.

/this\

Generally not on most people’s list, but it should be. Good call John. 👍

Flashback. An old friend made the mistake of starting his engine up at the edge of the garage, so the exhaust would go outside. As he was leaning over the engine to adjust something, it started to roll back. The outside apron was on a steep slope, so once it caught the edge, it really wanted to keep going.

He pulled against the bib, but the raised hood caught something overhead and came down on his hand! As he staggered backwards pulling out his mangled hand, the edge of the front bumper clipped his leg and took him down altogether. :eek:

His truck, a 45swb, proceeded to roll down the driveway, out into the street, hopped the curb on the other side, and took out his neighbors staircase with the corner of the bed. 😢

That was in 2005. I don’t remember if I ever saw the bed repaired; we stopped being friends less than a year later. :sad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom