starting to shop for a LX/LC... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After lurking on this forum for more than a couple of years, I'm finally getting around to shopping for a LX, '03 or newer (and, hence, the questions about the WS vs. Type IV ATF for '03's and '04's). There's a '03 and '04 I found (one is near me, the 04 is 450 miles away, so I won't bother going there unless I know nothing hokey is going on since it's priced lower than I'd expect). Would anyone who has the unlimited Carfax be kind enough to run these VIN's....Yeah, I know, I should just register for the carfax, but I'm just getting started... JTJHT00W143537184 and JTJHT00W633527197. I'm only willing to travel the 450 miles if it sounds very promising.

Is there any easy way to tell if a 03+ LX has the Mark Levinson audio? I don't exactly trust the salesmen since more than often, they have no clue what features the vehicle has. From searching around, it seems that '03+ LC's cost the same as the LX, and supply is very scarce, hence the decision to search for a LX.

Has anyone found any difference in warranty service or when something is just out of warranty (say the exhaust manifolds crack just after the warranty expires) when buying from a non-local (say, out of state) dealer vs. buying from the dealer where it's serviced? That is, you think the dealer would be more sympathetic and cover/split the costs if you bought the rig there originally, or do they not care where you bought it?

you will find that if the levinson audio was available for any given year, its gonna have it 99% of the time, they were all ordered by the lexus areas with them, unless it was a customer special order.

Jim one thing that is nice about Lexus is that if you go to the local Lexus service department they can plug in those vin #'s and give you all of the service information on both those vehicles no matter what Lexus dealer serviced them. Also since Lexus service is so good most Lexus owners have Lexus dealers service their vehicles (otherwise I would assume it was not serviced). I would want a Lexus LX470 that was only a couple of years old with complete service records showing that it had been serviced as recommended by Lexus.

SWUtah said:
Jim one thing that is nice about Lexus is that if you go to the local Lexus service department they can plug in those vin #'s and give you all of the service information on both those vehicles no matter what Lexus dealer serviced them. Also since Lexus service is so good most Lexus owners have Lexus dealers service their vehicles (otherwise I would assume it was not serviced). I would want a Lexus LX470 that was only a couple of years old with complete service records showing that it had been serviced as recommended by Lexus.

I've already requested those from the salesman, haven't gotten an email response yet. The problem is the dealer is 450 miles away in CA. The other LX I found is local ('03), so I should be able to get records. I haven't gone there yet since they are asking $6K more for the '03 than the CA '04, and both have nearly the same mileage (49K for the '03 vs 54K for the '04), both have a 3 yr factory warranty. That doesn't make sense to me. I know it's been sitting there for at least a month, and we all know every Mar-May, gasoline prices spike before the summer. I'd like to see the carfax report for the origins of the vehicle (don't want a vehicle registered in a place where roads are salted).

Jim - It's a 4yr/50K waranty from Lexus, so they may be able to throw in a 100K certification on the '03 since its still technically under 50K. Come to think of it, I think Toyota dealers will certify up to 65K, Lexus CPO is probably similar. Regardless, you should be able to call around to local Lexus dealers, give them the VIN # and they should be able to pull the service history.

FYI, if it matters at all to you, the '03 will not have the back-up camera (assuming it has NAV) - only became standard with NAV option in '04.

Re: Levinson, it should be badged prominently on the speaker grills.

Last edited:
the lexus cpo program cut-off is 60k miles on the vehicle, and it would add an extra 3yrs / 100k total vehicle mileage to your factory warranty

Jim_Chow said:
I've already requested those from the salesman, haven't gotten an email response yet. The problem is the dealer is 450 miles away in CA. The other LX I found is local ('03), so I should be able to get records. I haven't gone there yet since they are asking $6K more for the '03 than the CA '04, and both have nearly the same mileage (49K for the '03 vs 54K for the '04), both have a 3 yr factory warranty. That doesn't make sense to me. I know it's been sitting there for at least a month, and we all know every Mar-May, gasoline prices spike before the summer. I'd like to see the carfax report for the origins of the vehicle (don't want a vehicle registered in a place where roads are salted).

Jim your local dealer can give you the maintance records on both vehicles. Lexus uses a national network. I would go by and have the sales guy print both records. Tell him you want to compare the two vehicles for the reason you just stated. I've done this before in Atlanta. No problem.

SWUtah said:
Jim your local dealer can give you the maintance records on both vehicles. Lexus uses a national network. I would go by and have the sales guy print both records. Tell him you want to compare the two vehicles for the reason you just stated. I've done this before in Atlanta. No problem.

Thanks. Do I go to the service dept for this, or sales? Can they also pull the Carfax reports? Based on 100TD's reassuring comments about the '04 not having the ATF dipstick, I'd probably think the backup camera in the '04 would be a good safety feature to have, might even help when wheeling, too!

BTW, how do I know if it has rear curtain/side airbags?

Last edited:
They will be labled on the pillars or in the headliner just above the window in the front and second rows. Says SRS or something to that effect. I have had luck calling the service dept. in the past.

Jim_Chow said:
Thanks. Do I go to the service dept for this, or sales? Can they also pull the Carfax reports? Based on 100TD's reassuring comments about the '04 not having the ATF dipstick, I'd probably think the backup camera in the '04 would be a good safety feature to have, might even help when wheeling, too!

BTW, how do I know if it has rear curtain/side airbags?

Have the salesmen take you to the service manager and have him ask for the print-outs on both vehicles (this will give you a comparison between the servicing on both vehicles) They can also using the vin print a listing of what is on both vehicles. I would think this would be good leverage since you are going to be at the dealer with the older higher priced LX :) If they both look like they have been serviced the same and the same carfax results then you can start asking the sales guy why you should pay $6K more for a vehicle that is one year older with comparable care??? PS- (they can also pull carfax on both vehicles) so you can compare them, if they say they can't pull both then have them pull the one on their vehicle and tell them you will now have to go look at the other vehicle which could lose the sale for them since it is newer for less money. They aren't going to want to let you leave and look at a new lower priced LX.

Take your time and look at vehicles until you find the perfect one. Traveling a few hundred miles for a perfect vehicle is totally worth it.

Especially if you have waited for several years to get one.

calamaridog said:
Take your time and look at vehicles until you find the perfect one. Traveling a few hundred miles for a perfect vehicle is totally worth it.

Especially if you have waited for several years to get one.

Yeah...Make SURE its perfect...Its MUCH more fun beating, denting and scratching up a "like New" 100/LX !!

Thats what I did ..It was showroom perfect when I bought mine !! :D :D

Thanks for your advice, guys. I stopped by the local dealer today, showed them the autotrader printouts, and had them pull the service records for both vehicles. They tell me for lexus to certify any vehicle, it must have been fully serviced by lexus and costs them $2500. I got the records:

2003 LX, 49K mi:
service/inspection at 4465mi, 9859, 17532, 22685, 23322 (front door lock assembly, one side), 29787 (30K mi service, lexus link removed), 38824, 38829 (rear light bulb replaced + service), 44074 (45K mi service, plus blower motor assembly [replaced?], 47887, 49430 (certified plus other service), 49570.

Oil changing intervals seem a tad long sometimes, but otherwise, no red flags. Vehicle was purchased at Scottsdale Lexus and traded in at Tucson lexus, so it most likely spent its life in AZ. Has chrome wheels, mark levinson. Salesman tells me chrome wheels were a $1900 option (I don't care, so worthless to me). I checked under the hood w/ engine off. Coolant looks good (original factory red), looks like the brake fluid and PS fluid could use some flushing (probably due at 60K mi). No leaks under the vehicle, no rust spots (it was getting dark, so I'll have to check closer). Didn't have time to start the engine to check for ticking sounds yet.

2004 LX, 53750 mi:
service/inspection at 20 mi (non-oem wheels installed+inspection), 1759 (1K mi service), 4638 (5K mi service), 8059 (1 wheel disc/tire dismount), 9654, 14779 (15K service), 19463 , 25139, 27734 (4LG replaced dvd), 28330 (multi-display), 30476 (30K service), 30480 (inspection), 35454 (wheel alignment), 40714 (F. DSC 1-SD, R. DSC 1-SD), 46483, 52138 (service+DRL kit install), 53743 (service+repair to fuel evap vsv harness [animal damage]).

This vehicle was purchased from Longo Lexus in El Monte (LA) and traded in at Orange County (about an hour away). It seems a rat or something chewed into the fuel evap vsv harness. The other thing I don't like is the wheel alignment at 35K mi. One only gets a wheel alignment if installing a lift/new springs or if you hit like a curb/obstacle at high speed and damage the suspension. One my 86 4runner, I've only had to have an alignment done when installing the OME lift and removing the IFS cross member to access the front diff for regearing, and that's in 200K miles w/ lots of wheelin'. The dealer said the DVD thing is most likely a map software upgrade. I believe the DRL is the recall to install resistors since the DRL's where too bright. My tendency is to pass on the second one...the price is abnormaly low for a '04, but the suspension/harness are suspect, IMHO.

BTW, the dealer said the 3 yr/100K mi warranty can be extended to 5 yr/100K or 7 yr/100K (didn't say how much).

What do you guys think? There's another '03 (mica) at a dealer in LA w/ 25K mi, certified, asking is $46K (almost the same price as the local one w/ 49K miles!). BTW, the blue book trade-in values for the '03 w/ 49K mi is $38.5K (mint cond, less $400 if no premium wheels), while an '03 w/ 25K mi is $42.8K (mint, std wheels). I'm presuming since they're all certified w/ full service recs, the kbb condition would be "excellent"?

Last edited:
jim,

both of those have excellent service histories. the second one needsa 45k service done, imho. the national average to certify a vehicle is about $1500 in reconditioning, then lexus charges a $845 fee to the dealer when they report it as certified, so $2500 total is about right. i wouldnt be overly concerned about either the alignment or the harness on the second vehicle.

jeff

Since you can probably use a reference point, I'm about to take delivery of a new 2006 LX for $59.3K. I was seeing used prices similar to what you're looking at, and figured it was worth the extra for one that has no history. The dealers are really dealing right now.

T.

jjb - I'll let you guess and will then confirm the dealer as soon as I take delivery. They said it will be in "by the end of the month" and I'm really hoping it's this weekend.

I'd hate to do anything to blow this deal.

my first guess would be jm lexus in margate, fl, but they would probably have one in stock for immediate delivery, so i wouldnt know for sure

tech_dog said:
Since you can probably use a reference point, I'm about to take delivery of a new 2006 LX for $59.3K. I was seeing used prices similar to what you're looking at, and figured it was worth the extra for one that has no history. The dealers are really dealing right now.

T.

I'm paying cash, so $60K is too much. I also found a '03 mica LX in LA w/ 25K miles, certified, asking $46K. I pulled the carfax reports on all three vehicles. The local '03 w/ 49K mi spent its entire life in Phoenix/Tucson and was a single private lease. The other two spent their lives in LA (bought, single owner), but the '04 was sold at auction while the two '03's were certified & offered for sale by the same dealers. The local '03 has been on the market since early Nov while the '03 w/ 25K mi went on the market in early december. I remember seeing two good deals on certified '03's in LA before Xmas for around $41-42K asking w/ < 50K mi. Those went quickly. I'm shying away from the '04 due to the wheel alignment, auction history, and the fact that the dealer hasn't even emailed me any photos or answered my questions directly despite requesting them twice. BTW, they all have the Levinson audio, and the speaker in the front doors do say "Mark Levinson" on them.

I took a quick peak in the engine compartment of the local '03 and don't remember seeing a ATF dipstick. Did the '03 LX's come with them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom