Starting - Strange Sound (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Tough Cranking - Starter?

I just started getting a strange sound at start up. It is a high pitched kind of squeal that only occurs for a couple of seconds at start up. I cant figure it out, not sure if its a hose with a leak sucking air, or if it has something to do with the starter; its sounds like its coming from the firewall area on the drivers side. Then after a couple of days the engine is having a tough time on initial turn over. Im totally stumped, can anyone provide any suggestions? It is a 85 BJ 60 - 3B.

Last edited:
"Sounds" are always guesswork when diagnosing without actually hearing but it may be a powersteering pump or possibly even vacuum pump.

Yes I know, sounds..... when you say vacuum pump are you referring to the pump on the back of the alternator? thanks

That's the one.

Checked it out, it seems to be fine. It sounds like it may be coming from the starter; hard to tell. Truck runs fine though, thats why im thinking the problem may be coming from the starter as i only get that sound at ignition.

Checked it out, it seems to be fine. It sounds like it may be coming from the starter; hard to tell. Truck runs fine though, thats why im thinking the problem may be coming from the starter as i only get that sound at ignition.

The bearing in the starter may need replacing. My 1HZ type was a common size that could be sourced at a bearing supplier cheap.

thanks i will look into it. I've noticed the starter having a little tougher time first thing this morning. i'm definately thinking thats where its coming from. Is replacing the bearing a relativly easy process?

thanks i will look into it. I've noticed the starter having a little tougher time first thing this morning. i'm definately thinking thats where its coming from. Is replacing the bearing a relativly easy process?

Ive only played around with the 1HZ starter but I would say it will be easy or cheap to get someone to do it for you.
Someone may have some pics of a dissambled B starter or if you can read a little French this maybe helpfull
remise en état des contacteurs de démarreur Download Toyota 4X4 repair manual Download Toyota 4X4 repair manual Toyota Land Cruiser Technical Links and Information

Looks like it has 2 bearings
starter_bj20.jpg

I'm thinking its not the bearings now, the vehicle is having a hard time turning the engine over initially??? checked the batteries, all the leads, Im stumped. Any input?
thanks

I'm thinking its not the bearings now, the vehicle is having a hard time turning the engine over initially??? checked the batteries, all the leads, Im stumped. Any input?
thanks

It could still be the starter if it is cranking slow,its just dying from multiple reasons:D
They are not hard to pull out and get it checked

Yup, it was the starter! $200 for a re-build, problem solved.

Darn, too bad I noticed this thread before you shelled out $200. Oh well, at least you've presumably got a complete overhaul with new contacts, brushes and bearings, which would make it a good deal.

Had that happen to me a few months ago, with the exact same symptoms. Except that on mine, it refused to 'die down' after a few seconds (the contacts welded). Starter contacts. Cheap and easy to fix (once you've discovered what it was).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom