Starting question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok guys.....as you know I'm a rookie to this FJ60 Phenomenom. I took everyone's advice and got an OEM P/S pump and am extremely satisfied. Now I'm not used to pulling a choke to start up a truck, what can I say. Is there any tricks to starting my truck up? In the morning I pump the gas twice pull the choke and start her up. Sometimes during the day she turns on with no problem, but then sometimes she doesn't...my mechanic says there's nothing wrong with the starter, battery, alternator....it could use a tune up and have the plugs and wires, will this help me out? Like I said I'm new to this old school stuff Lancruiser stuff. I'm just wondering if there are any tips on starting her up? I don't want to flood the engine or anything. Thanks

-Los

I don't know if this is going to help or not, but I do the same thing to start my FJ60. I have new plugs, wires, distributor rotor.

Spymaster0077 said:
Ok guys.....as you know I'm a rookie to this FJ60 Phenomenom. I took everyone's advice and got an OEM P/S pump and am extremely satisfied. Now I'm not used to pulling a choke to start up a truck, what can I say. Is there any tricks to starting my truck up? In the morning I pump the gas twice pull the choke and start her up. Sometimes during the day she turns on with no problem, but then sometimes she doesn't...my mechanic says there's nothing wrong with the starter, battery, alternator....it could use a tune up and have the plugs and wires, will this help me out? Like I said I'm new to this old school stuff Lancruiser stuff. I'm just wondering if there are any tips on starting her up? I don't want to flood the engine or anything. Thanks

-Los

IMHO, I want to suggest carb rebuild.
If ignition section have no problem, remains is only fuel supply section.
I had very similiar problem with you. Mine is FJ62 with carburetor 3F motor that it's almost same with your FJ60 with 2F.
I'd check and replaced spark plugs, ignition wires, distributor cap, rotor, ignition coil but nothing changed.
So, that's the time when I must pay attention to fuel supply section.
I'd disassembled carburetor, completely cleaned using with solvent, checked and adjusted float level and changed some gaskets.
After done this carb work, my FJ62 starts very well always.

Oh, Min Seok

Last edited:
later in the day when you have to start it, do not pump it twice, you may actuallt be flooding it when you do that, i would crank it with no choke first, if it doesnt start, choke it without pumping..

there could be tons of reasons. is the carb fan working? in the morning i pull my choke and turn the key thats all dont pump she fires right up. when its warm i have to do what the fsm says and pump three times and turn the key starts right up. if i dont pump it first then it usually wont start until i pull hte choke just long enough to get it started, they are quirky. but i also just figured out that i may be haveing a vapor lock problem also because she runs rough sometimes after a warm start. i gues im missing the heat flapper on the insulator. blah blah

welcome to mud

Later in the day after the morning cold start (after an 8hr workday), mine will start right up without the choke, but I have to pull the choke out a little bit after start up to keep it running smooth. Now that the days are not warming up as much, I'll need to pump once and choke it to start. If all is like it should be mechanically, to choke or not to choke is a matter of becoming familar with your cruiser.

The proper starting technique for the FJ60 is the following:
Cold engine - 2 pumps, choke out all the way and crank. Ease the choke in as the engine idles.
Warm engine - no pumps, no choke, depress accelerator and with it down crank until it starts and then let up.
There are times where its "in between" - you've driven it some but its not fully warm in which you can follow the warm engine start and then pull the choke a little bit as needed.

If you are not used to using a truck with a choke, it does seem odd to have to use it to routinely start - but you do!

87 FJ60
all stock

Thanks for all the info....i guess my mechanic is right....you've got to get familiar with your cruiser cause they're all different

One of the nice things about having a car w/out all the bells a whistles is that you get to become one w/your car, or you end up walking.
Enjoy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom