Starting promblems (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone one had this problem. On a 89 FJ62 all stock petrol inj 3ef, anyway only in the morning I have to pump the petrol pedal a lot for it to fire up, but the rest of the day it starts up like it should without touching the petrol pedal ??? Cheers

firstly if it's fuel injected which it should be then pumping the pedal wont achieve any more than holding it down should as you have no accelerator pump. As for your problem, Fuel injected cars have what is called a cold start injector. This injector operates only on cold starts (as the name suggests) to richen the mixture, as per a choke on a carby vehicle. Toyota engineers in all there wisdom usualy manage to fit these somewhere in the inlet manifold that is prone to carbon build up blocking the injector. From memory i can't say for sure but i know alot of models have the Exhaust gas recirculation inlet pipe opposite this injector. The EGR pipe blows exhaust gas directly in the face of this injector and subsequently blocks it. If this is the case have the injector cleaned and block the EGR pipe to avoid a reoccurance.
In any case the cold start injector is easy to check. It will be on the plenum section of the inlet manifold. It will have a steel or flexible fuel line running to it and a two pin electrical connector (green i think!). Remove the injector with it still connected. When you crank the engine cold it should continuously squirt fuel. (point injector nozzle into a bottle or similar to catch fuel). If it does then check inside the manifold where it sits is clean. If it doesn't then this is your problem. Don't forget fuel requires a better spark to ignite when it is cold to. so don't overlook plugs etc.
Hope this helps.

Very uncommon but if the Coolant temperature sensor is out of range the ECU may not know that the engine is cold and hence will not operate the cold start injector. So if the injector is clean and doesnot work check that it is getting power. On cold crank it should have battery power the the connector. Disconnect the plug and pop a test light on the two terminals, have someone crank the engine over, test light should illuminate. Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom