Starting problems (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hey guys just a few days ago my smog pump seized and i couldnt get the idler pulley so i devained my pump. i had to cut one of the large hoses on the back of the pump and just put tape over the openings. but now im coming across a idle issue when i start it. i have the gasket leak where it makes clicking sounds when accelerating but when i first start it i have to constantly give it gas and the choke seems to do nothing. it tries to go below 500 rpm. what is happening?

If its not desmoged, and that hose was attached before.... seems it may need to be attached again. I am far from knowledgeable on that sort of thing... Maybe @FJ40Jim could give a more affirmative answer on that seeing as he is a carb guy and is who I got my pulley from when my air pump seized (I was desmoged tho).

If the engine idled fine before working on the smog pump and now it doesn't, either there's a LOT of friction now in the pump from something getting jambed during the devane, or maybe a vacuum hose somewhere got disconnected during the struggle with the pump?

Look for any disconnected vacuum hoses or broken hose nipple connections.

Smack the top of the EGR valve with the plastic handle of a big screwdriver a few times for good measure.

A functioning smog pump doesn't interact with the engine intake at all. All it does is pump a little air into the exhaust. It doesn't impact idle one way or another except for a tiny bit of parasitic drag to turn the pump. Nothing that changes idle or starting.

If the engine idled fine before working on the smog pump and now it doesn't, either there's a LOT of friction now in the pump from something getting jambed during the devane, or maybe a vacuum hose somewhere got disconnected during the struggle with the pump?

Look for any disconnected vacuum hoses or broken hose nipple connections.

Smack the top of the EGR valve with the plastic handle of a big screwdriver a few times for good measure.

A functioning smog pump doesn't interact with the engine intake at all. All it does is pump a little air into the exhaust. It doesn't impact idle one way or another except for a tiny bit of parasitic drag to turn the pump. Nothing that changes idle or starting.
While you're here do you know what this is supposed to be connected to? It's on the driver side fender.

image.jpeg

If the air pump still is pumping air, but no longer hooked up to the emissions equipment, it's best to let it pump air through it, rather than plug the openings. The air flowing through it will keep it cooler, which is easier on the internal vanes if they're still installed.

If the air pump still is pumping air, but no longer hooked up to the emissions equipment, it's best to let it pump air through it, rather than plug the openings. The air flowing through it will keep it cooler, which is easier on the internal vanes if they're still installed.
No I pulled the vanes ins and bearings out so it spins like a pulley

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom