Starting Problems When Hot Outside / Less Than 1/4 Tank (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ntk

Threads
I'm in need of some diagnosis help here... I've searched and never found anything that was exactly similar to what I'm experiencing or had an actual resolution. So, here are the details:

Make: 1999 LC
Mileage: 185k
Location: Colorado, ~6000ft (in case altitude may be a factor)

Problem: Having issues with starting. It will turn over, but won't start on the first try. Usually it will start on the second try, but often requires a tap of the gas pedal while cranking it. Sometimes it will take many more tries to get it started with repeated cranking. Once started, it's a little weak for a few seconds, and revving it up to a few thousand rpms seems to get it going strong again. Under normal driving conditions once it's started, there are not any issues that I'm aware of.

Other notes: I've had the LC for about 2 years now, and it has had this problem since I got it. However, it has been getting much worse lately. It used to happen once every now and then, but now it seems to happen nearly every day / week. It happens much much more frequently if there is 1/4 tank of gas or less, and it also seems to occur more when the weather is very hot. Ex, yesterday it was 97 F outside and it struggled to start each time I started it up, but this morning it was closer to 65 F and it did just fine even with less than 1/4 tank.
What I've tried: I got a scanner and looked for codes - no results. I changed the spark plugs about 8k ago for regular maintenance - no effect on the problem. I've tried running premium grade fuel instead of regular - no changes. I cleaned the MAF sensor and looked at the throttle body (didn't clean it as I ran out of time and it didn't seem that dirty) - no results. I checked for disconnected/loose vacuum lines in the engine bay and found one broken port for a vacuum line on the left side of the engine (the name of it escapes me right now), so I epoxied the broken port back together and secured the loose line back on - this improved the idle a bit but did not change the starting problem.

What I need: General ideas, relevant experience with the same issue, things to check for. I know there are other things to look into, like the fuel delivery system and others. I've always suspected the fuel pump, but haven't changed it since it's a somewhat pricey part and I don't have the know how to definitively target that as the cause of the problem. Any and all help is appreciated!

I don't know how to definitely target it either, but it does kind of sound like a weak fuel pump.

I don't know how to definitely target it either, but it does kind of sound like a weak fuel pump.

Okay, that's always kind of been my gut instinct too. Do you know if there's a way to check the functionality of the pump without just putting in a new one?

Anyone else with thoughts on this? Just looking for a general idea of what to target...

Might have to summon our Global Director of Diagnosis — @2001LC. It's above me...I usually just replace the part if I can't diagnose it further. Which of course isn't the most reasonable or frugal approach.

The proper way to check the fuel pressure would be to use a gauge. That isnt my way. I would pull the fuel line going to the filter and put my thumb over the end of the hose while someone else turned the ignition switch on. If you can easily hold the pressure back you need a new pump.

Edit:

Gasoline is extremely flammable and dangerous. Especially on a hot day. My method will tell you if you have fuel pressure, but it isnt the best way to do it

Last edited:
I suspect fuel delivery. Fuel pump, Injector leak down, Fuel pressure regulator are top of the list. Can be combo!
Hot weather increases resistance of wires and electrical components. Which puts fuel pump at top of list.

Clamp the return line off. The one that clips onto back DS of engine cover. Do this while engine running. Report back what RPM does!

Or just bring by and I'll have a look. PM me if you'd like to bring by.

^^^^^ Yes, sounds very much like a weak fuel pump.

Check pressure with banjo bolt and gauge.

Banjo Bolt.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom