starting problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
some times when hot after running it,turn the key and nothing happens,just wanted to know if the key ignition could be bad.been thinking of making a push button hook up ,and turn key on and push button,or should i replace the key ignition.looking for help what do ya think,jim

Care to define "nothing happens"?

No lights? No click? Turns over but doesn't start? Time stops?

How about what year you have?

1991 fj80,turn key dash lights on,no click,just turn key to nothing,tryed moving shifter,taping on starter,nothing,keep trying above and then it starts,does not do it all the time,but now i just leave it running till i get back home,a little costley.but not stuck some where .or in the wrong place

Do the lights dim when you turn the key, at least?

It's possible that the starter is sticky and the plunger is not moving. The :princess: rig had some similar issues right before the starter went out. You do not want to get the starter stuck on, you could: drain the battery, burn up the starter, or burn up your truck. (Take your pick.)

How many miles on the truck? How old is the battery? Do you know if the starter has ever been serviced before? OEM starter or aftermarket? Which model of starter (1.4 or 2.0)?

How old is the battery? Do you know if the starter has ever been serviced before? OEM starter or aftermarket? Which model of starter (1.4 or 2.0)?

I just went through the same thing. Replaced the starter, but it still ran rough after. I ended up taking the battery to NAPA (I checked the volts and it was fine with 14.1) but it did not test good with amps. Bought a new one and now runs fine. Battery might be a good idea to check, before you start buying parts.

the fj80 has 203.??? miles,a rebuilt starter not sure when,took it apart and it looks new inside,did the same start problem with the old battery,now a new optim red top,no change,it seems like the ign key switch,going to hook up a push buttom to by pass .so battery - switch to starter and then will know if it is in the ing.system.jim

Aftermarket rebuilt or a reman OEM?

I would not trust an aftermarket starter.

some times when hot after running it,turn the key and nothing happens,just wanted to know if the key ignition could be bad.been thinking of making a push button hook up ,and turn key on and push button,or should i replace the key ignition.looking for help what do ya think,jim

Same thing here on my '91.
Pop the hood - sometimes for just a minute - and she starts right up. Noticed the engine compartment fan is not coming on (well, it did a couple of times but not for very long). Tried grounding the switch, but still nothing. Will check out the wiring, sensor and relay later.

Was thinking of venting hood, but not ready to cut. So, I used some spacers on the hood hinges and lifted it at the back; gave it a race-car look. That seemed to do the trick. Only once after that did it repeat the no-click syndrome, but it was crazy hot that day. Wish I could show some pics of the angled hood, but haven't taken any.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom