Starting Issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A few months ago I went to start my 1988 FJ62 and it would not start. I looked up the Troubleshooting section of the Starting System chapter of the 1989 Toyota Land Cruiser Repair Manual. The battery is new and charge is good. Cables look good and are attached appropriately. The next step in the troubleshooting checklist is to check if the neutral start switch is faulty. I was not sure how to find out if the neutral start switch was faulty but eventually found an article that said to try starting the car in the neutral position. It said if it starts in neutral it was a bad neutral safety switch. It worked... For the last few months if I go to start my cruiser and it does not start and I get lights on the dash when I turn the key, it will start in the neutral position. If I go to start my cruiser and it does not have lights on the dash when I turn the key, I have to disconnect and reconnect the leads to the battery and then it will start in the neutral position. This used to happen about 1 in 10 starts. Now it is happening almost every start. Has anyone had this issue? Was it the neutral safety switch? Thank you.

Cheap thing to check first.
Adjust the linkage from the shifter to the tans. If loose or not aligned it can cause your issue.
Fixed mine.
Two nuts that hold the linkage where it attaches to the rod going into your tans.

worth a look see

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom