Starting issues with my 88 FJ62 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FJ40 MATT

SILVER Star
Threads
I have a 88 Fj62 with 100,000 miles on it and I drained the gas and put new gas in it. The truck ran for 15 minutes and then stopped. Then I would try to start it and it would run real rough like it was getting no gas and die. Now it just cranks and doesn’t start at all. I took the fuel filter off that had been replaced recently and was able to blow through it so I think the filter is fine. I took the line going into the filter off and started the truck and barely if an gas came out. Is my fuel pump most likely bad or are there a couple of other smaller things it could be. I haven’t had a Fj62 in years so would rather ask someone who has ran into the same issue.

You can try jumping 12v directly to the pump with a line routed into a bucket and see if you are getting any flow. And if you can hear the pump. There is also a filter sock on the pump if I remember correctly. Possible the pump works but that filter is clogged.

You can try jumping 12v directly to the pump with a line routed into a bucket and see if you are getting any flow. And if you can hear the pump. There is also a filter sock on the pump if I remember correctly. Possible the pump works but that filter is clogged.
Thanks I’ll try it tomorrow

Should I be able to hear the fuel pump if I open the gas tank cap?

Some good info in this parallel thread:

I went through this myself today @fj40Matt, check my thread below.

And congrats on owning a 100k 62... Install that transmission cooler.

Start with the basics, making sure power gets to the pump.
I put a screw driver in the air flow meter, key on ACC in order to engage the fuel system.
When you do so, your pump should start and make sound.
Mine didn't...
But I did have 12v at the pump. So I knew there was something wrong in the fuel pump assembly inside the tank.
In my case, my pump was fine, but the ground wire going from the pump to the fuel pump bracket had snapped off...

Seth his advice is great as always, I did the same to double check it wasn't my ground.

Your filters could be plugged, but it sounds like something is up with power getting to your pump or the pump going belly up. When filters are plugged, the pump has to work a lot harder.

Hope this helps!

Some good info in this parallel thread:

Thanks for the help

I went through this myself today @fj40Matt, check my thread below.

And congrats on owning a 100k 62... Install that transmission cooler.

Start with the basics, making sure power gets to the pump.
I put a screw driver in the air flow meter, key on ACC in order to engage the fuel system.
When you do so, your pump should start and make sound.
Mine didn't...
But I did have 12v at the pump. So I knew there was something wrong in the fuel pump assembly inside the tank.
In my case, my pump was fine, but the ground wire going from the pump to the fuel pump bracket had snapped off...

Seth his advice is great as always, I did the same to double check it wasn't my ground.

Your filters could be plugged, but it sounds like something is up with power getting to your pump or the pump going belly up. When filters are plugged, the pump has to work a lot harder.

Hope this helps!

Thank you

I also have a 100,000 mile fj62. Unfortunately it was eaten by the rust monster but it did sign the organ donor card 😂

I also have a 100,000 mile fj62. Unfortunately it was eaten by the rust monster but it did sign the organ donor card 😂
This one is no show queen either but it has the cleanest interior I’ve ever seen on any 60 series. Was owned by one woman and you can tell bc of how clean it is and how unabused the dash, seats and carpet are in

3CAC63BC-8DEF-4993-BB38-9D569E885EEB.jpeg

3A377336-8350-4C59-89CE-F63B6A262463.jpeg

8A3DAEE7-08B8-499A-9727-0AEF9F1441D8.jpeg

13D01133-7FD2-4643-942A-AB7AEEA877C4.jpeg

A5BFF1D6-DEA5-4701-AB3D-FD2370C9F17B.jpeg

797B65EC-3D87-4B03-A664-9A8F8B375F76.jpeg

I put the key in acc position and pushed the flap open with my hand and did not hear any noise. Noticed my check engine light is on when I crank too.

Check engine light should be on whenever the key is on, and engine is not running. Make sure you pushed the flap open with the key on. You might not be able to hear the fuel pump all the way at the front when you push the flap. I recommend you stick something in there to push the flap and then walk to the back. It should be very evident if the pump is running from the back.

Check engine light should be on whenever the key is on, and engine is not running. Make sure you pushed the flap open with the key on. You might not be able to hear the fuel pump all the way at the front when you push the flap. I recommend you stick something in there to push the flap and then walk to the back. It should be very evident if the pump is running from the back.
Thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom