Starting Issues | Painless Hotshot Kit 30202 | Need Assistance (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Greetings all, my 94 80 series is experiencing starting issues like many of you. I've spent a lot time researching the issue and the best/most economical fix is the Painless Performance Hot Shot 30202. Product - Painless Wiring - https://www.painlessperformance.com/wc/30202

The wiring diagram and provided instructions leave much to be desired. http://www.painlessperformance.com/Manuals/30202.pdf

This post from a few years ago help quite a bit but didn't answer everything Hotshot starter relay 30202 kit for intermittent starting install ? - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/hotshot-starter-relay-30202-kit-for-intermittent-starting-install.995986/

Can anyone that has installed one of these help confirm where the (4) wires terminate:
  • heavy gauge purple connects to spade terminal on starter (replacing existing wire)
  • heavy gauge red wire - doe it connect to other threaded connection on starter or is it not used at all? I've seen conflicting info
  • smaller gauge purple wire - where do I tap into the starter trigger? I've read it terminates to same spade connector as heavy gauge purple wire? Again, seen conflicting info
  • black wire - frame ground
Greatly appreciate the assistance.

Here's my girl:
PXL_20210619_151210906_2.jpg

did you get things working? I just ordered this kit as well and plan to install this wknd…any tips/answers to your question?

Instead of solving the problem you add more problems to the old rig?

If the problem is in the starter unit this won't help!
If the problem is in the OEM command harness this won't help!
It solves only one problem, a faulty key switch,
unlike a modern car LC 80 needs to handle a large current of 30 Amp, 30 years of heavy use can brake it.
sa.jpg

Instead of solving the problem you add more problems to the old rig?

If the problem is in the starter unit this won't help!
If the problem is in the OEM command harness this won't help!
It solves only one problem, a faulty key switch,
unlike a modern car LC 80 needs to handle a large current of 30 Amp, 30 years of heavy use can brake it.
View attachment 3307782
I thought it would ensure you get +12V to the starter(my starter is 2months old) due to old degraded wires affected by Texas heat…my no start only occurs randomly when it’s really hot🤷

And I don’t plan to replace wiring harness…

Can anyone that has installed one of these help confirm where the (4) wires terminate:
  • heavy gauge purple connects to spade terminal on starter (replacing existing wire)
  • heavy gauge red wire - doe it connect to other threaded connection on starter or is it not used at all? I've seen conflicting info
  • smaller gauge purple wire - where do I tap into the starter trigger? I've read it terminates to same spade connector as heavy gauge purple wire? Again, seen conflicting info
  • black wire - frame ground

Following up on these questions. Were you able to Solve based on your instal?

I thought it would ensure you get +12V to the starter(my starter is 2months old) due to old degraded wires affected by Texas heat…my no start only occurs randomly when it’s really hot🤷

And I don’t plan to replace wiring harness…

Ya that’s common if you are having a voltage drop from the ignition wire to the starter. Adding a relay or solenoid will resolve it but that’s only if you are having the voltage issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom