Starting Issues click. click. click. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
If I leave my 1974 FJ40 parked for a couple of days, when I go to start it is just will give me a single click. Turn off the key, turn on, single click. Turn off the key, turn on, single click. Usually by the third time I turn the key on and off it will then turn over and start right away with no issue. Here is the list of potential fixes I have tried so far and no success.

-New Starter
-New Positive and Negative Wires to the Battery from the Starter
-New Negative cable from the Frame to the Battery
-New Battery Terminals
-Optima Blue Top Battery replaced in March (holds a charge)
-Completely charged the Battery (that first time starting after the charge no clicking issues, follow up attempts, clicks)

Once it is started is will restart just fine until it sits for a couple days again. Then the same issue. I have also installed a cTek battery monitor looking for a potential draining issue. None. It will only drop by 1-2% over a couple of days. I have no large electrical additions to the vehicle. The alternator was replace last year and the battery charges without issue.

Again, it always eventually starts. I just hate that initial feeling when you try and it doesn't work. Plus I just want it to be right.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

If I leave my 1974 FJ40 parked for a couple of days, when I go to start it is just will give me a single click. Turn off the key, turn on, single click. Turn off the key, turn on, single click. Usually by the third time I turn the key on and off it will then turn over and start right away with no issue. Here is the list of potential fixes I have tried so far and no success.

-New Starter
-New Negative cable from the Frame to the Battery
-New Battery Terminals
-Optima Blue Top Battery replaced in March (holds a charge)
-Completely charged the Battery (that first time starting after the charge no clicking issues, follow up attempts, clicks)

Once it is started is will restart just fine until it sits for a couple days again. Then the same issue. I have also installed a cTek battery monitor looking for a potential draining issue. None. It will only drop by 1-2% over a couple of days. I have no large electrical additions to the vehicle. The alternator was replace last year and the battery charges without issue.

Again, it always eventually starts. I just hate that initial feeling when you try and it doesn't work. Plus I just want it to be right.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

You Need one of these .........

you have all The qualifying symptoms classic

+

this one is a OEM TOYOTA part

NOT a Chine Knock OFF !

1600809464453.png

You Need one of these .........

you have all The qualifying symptoms classic

+

this one is a OEM TOYOTA part

NOT a Chine Knock OFF !

View attachment 2443206
Thanks so much for your input here. I will give this a try next.

Ammeter not in use and solenoid was replaced with the starter. Going to give a new ignition Switch a try!

the internals are like a old ROTARY switch and fail over age time causing interment symptoms like you describe

after all the above

this would be my next area of focus

matt

the internals are like a old ROTARY switch and fail over age time causing interment symptoms like you describe

after all the above

this would be my next area of focus

matt
Ordered a new one. We'll see how it goes. Thanks again for your input.

Ordered a new one. We'll see how it goes. Thanks again for your input.

i have experienced your exact symptoms and it be the elec. key switch

theirs little balls like BB's inside that rotate on a copper contact disc , afetr 40 years , someting has to give its a mechanical moving part ...

i have experienced your exact symptoms and it be the elec. key switch

theirs little balls like BB's inside that rotate on a copper contact disc , afetr 40 years , someting has to give its a mechanical moving part ...

Installed. Waited 3 days. Cranked over right away. Thanks again!

So yesterday I took a drive. Started up with no issues and went on a 30 min drive. Stopped and got gas and when I went to leave, click... click... click. Kept trying to crank it over and after about 5 mins and it cranked over again finally. Again Battery is definitely healthy and alternator is charging.

With everything I have already done to track this down and parts I have replaced, my question is where do I go next? I just don't know what else it could be or where else to look.

Well, you replaced the ign switch, now make sure the wire connections going to the switch and from the switch to the starter are clean and the wires are in good shape.

I have a one of these mounted close to my Battery. I would have to double check what wires are going to and from it but could this have anything to do with my starting issues. ****The link I have attached here is NOT the exact one I have. Just for reference.

Verify whether "L" shaped contacts & round contact of the starter motor solenoid Plunger are pitted.
If necessary replace them.

Doesnt the stk starter already have a solenoid on it?

Install $10 4 pin relay to-your stater solenoid and this will solve your issue.

Right now you have too much resistance in the wires from the key over to the starter. This will bypass those old wires and go directly from the battery to the starter with fresh wiring,

D2C9317C-1E09-4F87-824C-AAE297DD9A4A.png

Last edited:
Just went and looked at the wiring to that solenoid I referenced. It is used for the Vintage Air AC. Disregard.

There should be an engine ground cable that runs from the frame (close to starter) to the engine close to the starter or to the starter mounting bolt.
If you post a few pics of the starter and battery we may spot something.

I had the exact problem for a couple of years. I pulled the wire to starter, the one from ign. switch, and put the meter on it. I only got 11 volts. I did as John Mc vicker did. Simple and cured my problem.
IMG_2800.JPG

I can defiantly run new wires from the Ignition Switch but where does each wire go? Meaning where does the wire from the ignition switch get connected to at the other end of the wire?

Doing some start research I found this what each of the wires on the ignition switch are for:
Black/White = Start
Blue/Red = Accessory
Black/Yellow = Ignition
White/Blue = Amp Meter

Black/White wire goes to the Starter. Straight forward. (technically it goes to neutral salty switch to the starter)

Blue/Red ?
Black/Yellow ?
White/Blue wire there isn't an Amp Meter anymore. Assume this wire is cut in the harness somewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom