Starting issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m having a strange issue recently on my ‘96. The starter cranks fine but it won’t start. When the ignition is on and my foot on the brake, the gearshift won’t pull out of park. Also noticed my headlights don’t work. I suspect that the electrical box/fuse panel behind the battery is not getting power. The power windows work and the dash lights all work. I noticed my dome light quit working so I checked the fuse which is also in the panel behind the battery and it was blown (10A). I stuck a new fuse in and the dome lights work now but truck still won’t start. I have the factory alarm and made sure it was armed and disarmed. Also used the key in the drivers side door to lock and re-lock. I’ve disconnected the battery about 6x for up to 10 minutes but no improvement. Any ideas where to look next?

So the way I understand it, the park/neutral safety switch on the transmission would not allow the starter to work if the truck was in D,R,1,2. The fact that the starter works tells me the safety switch is functioning normally.

Check your fuse box inside the cab. See if your break fuse in blown. If it is, it makes it extremely difficult to get out of park.

I've been chasing the no start for a while now but haven't cracked the code. I hear it click but won't turn over. This happens like 1/10 times. I think it's either something not making the electric connection, or the starter solenoid isn't hitting 🤷🏽‍♂️

This has been discussed 100s of times.
If you're hearing a good solid "thunk" when you engage the starter, then the solenoid is pulling in but the contacts are worn out.

I’m having a strange issue recently on my ‘96. The starter cranks fine but it won’t start. When the ignition is on and my foot on the brake, the gearshift won’t pull out of park. Also noticed my headlights don’t work. I suspect that the electrical box/fuse panel behind the battery is not getting power. The power windows work and the dash lights all work. I noticed my dome light quit working so I checked the fuse which is also in the panel behind the battery and it was blown (10A). I stuck a new fuse in and the dome lights work now but truck still won’t start. I have the factory alarm and made sure it was armed and disarmed. Also used the key in the drivers side door to lock and re-lock. I’ve disconnected the battery about 6x for up to 10 minutes but no improvement. Any ideas where to look next?
If the CEL is not on with the key in the ON/RUN position before cranking the starter, the engine will not run.
Likely cause is failed fusible links off the positive battery terminal.

I’m leaning towards this. At first I thought the fuse link was the actual junction box but I see now that it’s built into the positive battery harness...if I understand that correctly?

I don’t have any issues with my starter. The starter cranks and cranks with no issues. The engine just will not fire up. Like it’s not getting spark or fuel so if the fuse link is blown, that’s what gives power to the fuse panel behind the battery.

thanks for the suggestions

The complete Toyota factory service manual (FSM) and electronic wiring diagram (EWD) are available for download in the resources section.
Thanks! I found this in my FSM.
050D72D3-A6D6-4472-A826-1CF94DDE4410.jpeg

If the CEL is not on with the key in the ON/RUN position before cranking the starter, the engine will not run.
Likely cause is failed fusible links off the positive battery terminal.

Bingo! Thanks for the help!

6995AABF-A35D-4ED4-A6E8-FD3ECA68BD78.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom