Starting Issue (single click) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hoping for a little help...

'76 FJ40 has always started fairly easily, without too many tries. A few months ago, I was trying to start it, it was taking longer than normal, cranking and the motor turning and trying to start, when all of a sudden everything just stopped. After that, when trying to start I could hear a single click, nothing more.

I am now ready to figure this out and get it running again. First off, I replaced both the battery and the starter, as the battery was old anyway, and I got a 60-series gear reduction starter installed as well. Figured it's a better option in the long run anyway.

I am still getting the exact same result - a single click when attempting to start, which I assume is the starter solenoid.

Any suggestions?

PXL_20221104_210651187.jpg

What happens when you bypass the ignition and use a remote starter to connect the starter circuit? Some folks might suggest bypassing the ignition jumping 12 volts directly to the starter just to see if you can get her to turn over.

I'd say @Green Bean made a good suggestion. If the jumper works, it points to the ignition circuit (wires, fuse, switch, etc.). If the jumper still results in a click, it likely means your starter ground wire is corroded, or the positive battery cable is corroded.

Your positive cable looks sketchy, with exposed copper conductors looking corroded.

Last edited:
FYI, an alternate reason could also be a bad ground connection.

Hoping for a little help...

'76 FJ40 has always started fairly easily, without too many tries. A few months ago, I was trying to start it, it was taking longer than normal, cranking and the motor turning and trying to start, when all of a sudden everything just stopped. After that, when trying to start I could hear a single click, nothing more.

I am now ready to figure this out and get it running again. First off, I replaced both the battery and the starter, as the battery was old anyway, and I got a 60-series gear reduction starter installed as well. Figured it's a better option in the long run anyway.

I am still getting the exact same result - a single click when attempting to start, which I assume is the starter solenoid.

Any suggestions?

View attachment 3159305
Dead battery, or the cable connections are corroded-clean thencheck again

X2 on battery cables
is there a good ground from starter to frame and battery to frame?

you can also use a pair/set of jumper cables and go directly from the battery to the same location on the starter which will bypass the existing battery cable, use the other lead to get a good ground on the starter.

Well I spoke too soon. While replacing the positive cable made the starter turn over, as I was in a closed garage I left it at that and returned to it the next morning to actually fire up the cruiser and drive it... and it doesn't start. The starter is working great, and the engine is turning over, but it's not firing at all, I don't think any fuel is igniting. I don't know if I could have an issue with the spark plugs, if the engine is flooded, or what. I did try using starter fluid, made no difference at all. Any suggestions what to check next?

Check and see if you are getting any sparks or even any current at end of the wire.

Some good stuff here

yes, pull one of your plugs, keep the wire attached, lean it against the block, and have someone turn the motor over. If you get a spark, you know it’s probably not an ignition problem.

so check your ignition coil and see if you have approximately 12 volts with the key in the “on” position.

Sorry…. I defaulted to my standard thought path. You probably have points.

A lot of check the ignition. From what I gather he gets one click and the engine does not turn. You can have spark up the wazoo but "it don't mean nuthin if the engine don't crank." One click says bad electrical connection. Could be bad ground, bad switch, bad cables, bad solenoid. Just because the connections look good doesn't mean they are. One time while traveling one winter, the Toy was running great and firing right up after each gas up. Then just when it was darkest and coldest I got that ominous click. I crawled all over checking things and all looked good but still got the single click. I scrounged up a length of wire and was going to do a bypass jump. The engine is a 350 so when I got up underneath to connect the wire to the starter I bumped the battery cable and the POS fell off. The wire had corroded up inside the insulation where I couldn't see it.

Just got it running. The previous owner installed a 2nd gas tank, and it's operated by a small toggle switch. The switch had been bumped so it was not getting any fuel (that reserve tank is empty). So, now up and running, problems all solved!

Glad you got it running. What made you think it was not getting spark?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom