Starting frustration need help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys I'm in need of a little help here. Ok its a 1983 fj60 with a new rebuilt motor about 1000 miles on it, and rebuilt carb. Everything on it is new belts hoses alt. battery , radiator, fuel pump, filters, changed the oil at about 500 miles. It's running 65-70psi oil presure on cold start up and 55-60 on hwy. I have 17-18kg of vacuum at idle and the idle is set at as close to 650 rpm as I can get. On Friday it started acting like it wanted to die. Bouncing idle from 650 to 1000. I had to feed it gas to get it home. Now today it will fire up first crank but then die off about 10'seconds later. I've done the vacuum leak test spraying all the lines and manafold with carb cleaner and no change in rpm.

Is it a rich/lean issue or could it be my fcs or a fuseable link? Not sure.

Any help would be apreciated

Thanks
-O

Is it idling for 10 sec then dies or just won't idle ? Is there gas in the float bowl window after it dies? Have you checked the ICS ?

It won't idle at all. I pulled the fuel cutoff selonoid it clicks with the key. I also sprayed it out with carb cleaner. Still no result. Carb window is at half way full. After it dies.

If it doesn't, you might have dirt in the idle control circuit of the carb. I think I read a thread where the issue was the O-ring on the end of the ICS was buggered, somehow.

Yeah I pulled that and the o ring was good I grounded the fcs and got it to run at about 1000 rpm it still is bouncing and I had to shut it off cuz my gauge started to read in the 230 degrees range. Would this be related? My t stat should have kicked in at 190. :frown: am I running to rich?

Ok so the Idle is still bouncing from 750 to 1000rpm's and the vacuum is doing the same from 18kg to 14kg. I also pulled the #3 spark plug to see. It's white with a little burn at the end. Could one of my valves be sticking causing the jump in vacuum and idle? It's very consistent. Here's some pic's of the plug... I'm not sure about the temp. thing but It's not boiling or making any overheating sounds. My sensor could have gone bad too.
photo-2.jpg
photo-1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom