Starting down the Sniper 2300 path. Lessons being learned. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After lurking and learning here I decided to take the plunge. I would say I’m 4 hours in to the actual install and this is what I have already run into.

1. Don’t get the kit. It may be fine on some cars, but the FJ you’re going to need adapters, and getting the Holley kit only handles the easy stuff. There are companies that sell kits for our FJs. You pay a premium. I’m paying that premium every time I start any part

2. First thing I found in the install was the adapter for my Weber carb screwed up my adapter plan. I bought the kit from Downey. Since the PO took off the insulator I’m waiting to figure that one out. I’ve reached out to a few sites but SOR is the only one to actually answer. They have the newer one that has a heat shield. I assume it fits and that’s probably the path I’m on. I’ll still end up using the adapter Downey has.

3. I have a CCOT tank and it has a return. Yeah!!! But its all 5/16 and everything on the FJ seems to be 3/8”. I’m actually now considering just running all new 3/8”. BTW. Holley says the kit includes Earls fuel lines. Mine came with Gates. Hoping a 5/16 to 3/8 adapter on supply side works. If it doesnt I’m really back in the process.

4. Power was easy to find. Now just adding a Wirthco Roundtapper Kit to allow the power feed to the sniper to come straight to the fuse panel. I just don’t like the idea of coming off the coil.

5. Was talking to a buddy that’s a former FJ40 owner. Actually a few. Told him of my project and he laughed. “If you fix all of the carb issues on a FJ you’re just going to go looking at something else to tinker with.” Probably true.

6. Take photos. Until writing this I forgot I hadn’t taken pics.

I‘m sure I’ll learn more. 4 hours into a 10 hour project and I’m already 3 weeks behind schedule.

You will be a happy camper when it's all said and done...

Best upgrade you can do in my humble opinion...

Biggest concern is leaks. Vacuum, and exhaust. If you're good there, then the rest should be okay.

Follow the manual on startup and ignore the timing info unless yours is controlled by the Sniper.

Be sure to set your base timing per the FSM, and adjust between 7 btdc and 12 btdc.

Another thing is venting the fuel system.
I have gone with gas cap and atmosphere, but some think fuel separator, charcoal canister, (basically oem) is the way to go. Holley forums has tons of info and opinions there.

I originally fed power from one of the unused tabs on the back if my fuse box to feed the sniper, then went with + on coil.

No issues with +on coil.

I'm about 1/3rd into my third Sniper Install on my 64 I barrel manifold.
Running the 2GC small bore.
Thought it would look and fit better than the 2300.
Less support for it, but I'm 3D printing an air cleaner adapter and when finished, I think this set up will look more factory than a 2300 would, with the 5.125" wide adapter.

The mouth of the 2GC and the mouth of the factory air cleaner on the 64 are the same OD and with the small adapter in between, the look is a pretty clean one.

Anyhoo... Good luck, I'll be checking in later... :)

Last edited:
My one little advice tidbit would be to read “all” the sniper install threads here. Each have their own goals, design ideas, resources and budgets. Therefore, they’re all different and that is good as it helps the next guy to create his own setup. Take pics and document yours as well. The newbies and the experienced all have an eye out for a better idea. Good luck!

I hadn’t gone to the Sniper forums. I’m a little upset about a parts list that says Earl’s hose and actually getting Gates. Is this any issue, except another reason why not to buy the master kit? It looks like it will be running from the tank to the Sniper at least for now.

I hadn’t gone to the Sniper forums. I’m a little upset about a parts list that says Earl’s hose and actually getting Gates. Is this any issue, except another reason why not to buy the master kit? It looks like it will be running from the tank to the Sniper at least for now.
I wouldn’t worry about the gates hose, it’s pretty nice quality.

Paul, "Whitey45" has two insulators for sale in the classified ads here on Mud.

I didn't see those, and I thought I looked. Will try again

You have made a good choice to install the sniper unit. If you run into a bind ask for help lots of sniper installs have been done herewith great results. I`m very happy with the sniper install runs great starts much better on hot and cold. As stated before follow the set up procedure and ignore the timing unless sniper is controlling it.
JP

"Holley says the kit includes Earls fuel lines. Mine came with Gates."

Earl's is a fitting manufacture which is the ends of your hoses. Gates makes belts and hoses. I'd say you got the best of both markets.

Last edited:
I had some setbacks this year and just got back on the project. Tank installed and plumbing complete, I think. All of the wiring is run with connectors made. I have run into an issue taking out the old mechanical fuel pump. Do you cap the oil line coming from the oil cooler?

Lots of progress in the past few days and plan to stay on it until complete.

Last edited:
I had considered this route but it seems after much reading and research the sniper still throws codes even on what appear to be excellent installs. I guess I will hold on to good old fashioned carburetor for a bit here👍 Don’t need a computer to pull an attitude in the middle of nowhere. Already have a computer with an attitude at work and the dork with an attitude that that “fixes” it. Don’t need to deal with that when I am supposed to be having fun. Well not yet anyways...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom