Starting a rotary pump 3B for the first time (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cruiser_guy

Out of Africa / North Africa
Threads
Website
join-hands-for-hope-helping-people-help-themselves.mailchimpsites.com
I'm wanting to start up the 3B that's in my FJ45LV. It has the rotary injection pump and NO primer/bleeder pump. Are these self priming/bleeding? If not, how does one prime/bleed it?

I assume that the solenoid on the injection pump requires power when cranking/running.

Anything I might be missing? It cranks but no fuel, at least not yet, out the injection lines at the injectors.

Charles, if it is a VE pump like mine (your's will be DENSO of course ;)) it should have a bleeder. I bet Greg, Sheldon or Wayne know where it is. If it doesn't have one, then I suspect you will need to bleed to the pump intake. I had to do this with a Surf I was helping a guy get going on the docks. I couldn't find a bleed screw on its pump either and i didn't have a manual. It was so dry, it took me nearly 15 minutes to get the filter fuel of fuel. Luckily, I didn't have to bleed each injector. I just cranked until it fired - about 20 seconds. - and it smoothed out. Well as smooth as a Surf can run with a warped head.

Looks like you got a 3B-II engine. There aren't too many of them around. Is the bleeder/lift pump on the filter assembly? Rotary pumps do not take well to running without diesel. That's why I recommend bleeding right to the IP. If it doesn't work, then you will likely have to crack open all the injectors and crank until you get fuel squirting from each one. That'll be messy but should work.

John, theres no pump of any kind other than the injection pump, no filter yet either (not great I know but I'm working on it). I'm assuming that the injection pump will suck fuel from the tank but if someone knows different please chime in.

I do not believe this is a 3BII engine as I was able to use the 13B-T manifold for my turbo install.

It will suck from the tank but it will be hard on the pump with nothing in there for lubrication. All the VE type pumps I have seen have lift/bleeder pumps. You are going to need a filter assembly anyways, so I recommend a CAV/Delphie type one with a lift pump. If you are just in the testing phase, you can always gravity feed from a container just like a hospital IV.

I beleive all of the cruisers with the VE pumps have a primer on the filter housing.

I just started a 1HZ conversion for the first time in the truck today and just pumped the filter until the pump had resistance.

My 3BII also has a primer on the filter. You might do without it but there is no other way to prime the system when you change a filter or break the lines open.

There are Racor filters (and others im sure) that have a primer built into the filter head.

if you,ve got access to an air compressor put a bit of pressure into the tank at the filler until you get fuel coming out at the pump. even a small compressor for tyres should do it.

On the 1HZ ,which also have a rotary pump,the FSM recommends removing half the glow plugs and cranking the battery to suck fuel through when the pumps empty..

I took all the glow plugs out and it cranked over at near idling speed.
Stop cranking when you see plumes of diesel spray coming out of the glow plug holes:D

On the 1HZ ,which also have a rotary pump,the FSM recommends removing half the glow plugs and cranking the battery to suck fuel through when the pumps empty..

I took all the glow plugs out and it cranked over at near idling speed.
Stop cranking when you see plumes of diesel spray coming out of the glow plug holes:D

This is probably a much cleaner method than cracking all the injectors.

I needed a new positive battery cable for the starter as the old one wasn't conducting electricty well (I could get the solenoid to click but not get the starter to crank off the battery but not the battery clamp ). I got the new cable today.

Well I did a gravity feed to the pump using a dry plastic Coke bottle and when I cracked the bleeder screw I got diesel right away. I then pulled the glow plugs as suggested by "RoscoFJ73" as well as loosened off the injection lines. I got diesel bubbling from #1 and 3 after 30 or more seconds of cranking. Then I tightened down the injector lines and got diesel spray plumes from #1 and #3 cylinders fairly quickly (I didn't see any from #2 and 4, not sure why). Then I replaced the glow plugs and cranked a little more and started to get some smoke from the exhaust before the battery died on me again (it's not a new battery). It's now on charge again tonight and hope to be able to crank it over tomorrow and have it fire up! We'll see how well it runs.

yep, the hand pump is on the filter housing on all rotory pumps.

BUT

on the HZJ40 i just turned the bugger over and it fired right up. now it has the proper fuel filter housing.

Wayne, got any filter housings with the pump on them laying around?

yep, he just got my old bush pig LJ78 in for parts and i know there is at least one if not two filter housings sitting there...

Thanks Wayne, I just e-mailed him.

I finally got the engine in the FJ45LV fired up. I had my kid hold the bottle of diesel up like an IV drip, glowed the plugs and it fired up!!

It was amazingly quiet with the turbo and just 2 feet of pipe.

I finally got the engine in the FJ45LV fired up. I had my kid hold the bottle of diesel up like an IV drip, glowed the plugs and it fired up!!

It was amazingly quiet with the turbo and just 2 feet of pipe.

Glad to hear that the patient responded quickly to the IV. :hillbilly:

Try looking for a LUCAS/CAV/Delphi filter and sediment bowl assembly which has the primer pump on it. Check this page out to see what I mean: Fuel Filtration Systems (HiFlo Fuel Injection). You should be able to source one of these where you are at for a decent price. I know the tractor places here sell them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom