Starting a rebuild - what would you do?

Comet

Knower of little, master of less.
SILVER Star
I stick by my original arm chair diagnosis. I am very glad you were able to respond. That means we will gladly offer up more opportunities for you to do this work yourself and gain the satisfaction of knowing you were able to solve this on your own (MUD credit). Call Cruiser Outfitters in Utah, order the valve cover gasket, the six spark plug gaskets that go in the valve cover, cap, rotor, wires, spark plugs, and what ever else the new guy (not Bryce now) recommends. Stay below the cost of the quoted repair and you will be fine. BTW-the tool roll in the back drivers side has a funny lookin socket with a hole in it. That and the silver rod can be attached together to be the PERFECT way to remove the cylinder six spark plug. It’s like Mr. T made it just for that reason.

EDIT: If you have the tool roll with everything in there, no need to buy tools. You have everything you need already in there.

SmokingRocks

I bought a Cruiser to keep miles off my Cruiser
Sounds like your spark plug tube gaskets are letting oil by, this is super common and can be fixed simply by removing the valve cover and putting new seals in. A compression test still could've been performed, better yet a leak-down test should have been performed which would easily have proved/disproved the HG diagnosis.

You can do that test yourself with a compressor and a rented leak-down tester from your local auto parts store.

@FZJ253 So its not as bad as it originally sounded.

It would have driving very poorly on cylinder 2 misfire. You would have had a code for 6 also if you had a broken plug. I don't think you can drive it with 2 and 6 down at all. Did it ever run well for you after you purchased it?

The leaks are typical for these many years, and really not a bad job to do. Maybe he left out some info but the description doesn't support headgasket failure. and faulty piston rings is not usual so i think you are probably more likely to just be dealing with the gaskets and seals up top and that can be done all at the same time.
Yeah - I've owned it for a little over a year, and for most of that time it ran just as well as my last 80 that had an engine in great shape. (She was t-bone totalled).

And yeah - def drove poorly with the cylinder 2 misfire, and I wasn't getting a code for 6. Possible then that cylinder 2 was the issue and they broke the plug on 6 themselves. I did drive it home, but I believe the cylinder 2 plug was replaced, so I'd have been driving with just 6 down. So, drove there with 2 down, fixed it, broke 6, drove home with 2 up and 6 down. I haven't checked if I have a code for 6, but now I'm curious..maybe there's silliness going on with their reporting of that as well.

Anyway - all academic on that front I suppose. Hopefully my regular shop agrees in regards to gaskets/seals.

Feldrian

Full of opinions and expensive ideas
SILVER Star
This might fit too. Might have to work out a custom adapter though.

1634755062397.png

Driveline could hold the 1,622 HP I'm sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom