Starting 24 volt from two 12 volt batteries (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can a 24 volt system be started by connecting the positive and negative of each battery in the 24v vehicle to two separate 12v vehicles batteries, as long as the vehicles don't touch.

I would not do that it is unknown how many total volts combined you may get by doing that.
I once had two semi flat batteries and jumped 12v to the lead battery and blew the post clear off one of my batteries good thing I did not melt my fusible link.
I usually disconnect the first battery and jump a jumper battery to the second one to get a jump start ever since I had that experience.

Last edited:
I 2nd that. As long as the two batteries in the 24v vehicle are still connected together, then they are in series; it is a 24v system being jumped by two separate 12v ones, but 12v connected to 24v nonetheless...

John,
You can hook up one side to a 12v battery(in this case of a jump start). This eqauls a series/parallel arraingment. In theory, as long as the two batteries were isolated, then yes. It would not work if the two12v's were in parallel as in a truck. Hope that makes sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom